Hunger pains

Missourimedic
on 9/13/14 2:44 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Day one of the pre-op diet and I have hungry pains. What can I do to help curve them. I'm allowed chicken broth or anything else clear liquid.

kathkeb
on 9/13/14 3:25 am

You are going to be hungry.  You said last week that you had been eating thousands of calories a dy and now you are probably having a few hundred.

It gets easier after a few days, but it is tough.

It is physical hunger, and head hunger also ......so, you can plan other things to do to try to distract yourself from the physical hunger.

You can sip water or clear liquids all day.  Vary the temperature of the liquids, sometimes an ice cold glass of water hits the spot, sometimes warm soup or tea is soothing.

Prepare for headaches ... You are probably going to go through a detox of sugar, carbs,caffeine ..... A nice long nap will let you sleep through hunger.

Some music or listening to a book is better thanTV because there are no food commercials to deal with.

Kath

Missourimedic
on 9/13/14 3:58 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Thank you for the input. I will try that.

Hislady
on 9/13/14 4:04 am - Vancouver, WA

Kath gave you the best advice, drink lots of liquids and try to keep your mind busy with other things. Going for a walk is always good too, it gets you out of the house and away from food and helps you feel better getting out in the fresh air. It perks your brain up so you can fight the hunger better. Remember it's OK to feel hungry for a few days, we won't die, we might feel pretty cruddy for awhile but now is the time we need to learn that we don't have to eat every time we feel uncomfortable. I had to go 30 days with skim milk for "meals" and clear liquids! It wasn't easy by any means and I did eat a slice of swiss cheese a couple of times but all in all I consider that a success. Made me stronger because I knew I could do it when I had to. Hang in there, lots of folks here want to help you on this journey!

Missourimedic
on 9/13/14 6:35 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Thank you for the support and well wishes. I just got back from the store and I can say I behaved myself. I bought only the things that I am allowed to eat, chicken, fish, eggs, salad and no cheese. I already have the shakes. So I think to night will be a salad with grilled chicken and fat free dressing. I took a nap and the hungry pains went away. They were mind hunger pains not real ones.

Gwen M.
on 9/13/14 9:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I thought you were on full liquids, not clear liquids? 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Missourimedic
on 9/13/14 10:24 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

full liquids. dr wants protein shake in the morning, lunch and eggs, chicken or fish for dinner.

Hislady
on 9/14/14 5:36 am - Vancouver, WA

Good for you, most of the time it is our silly brain trying to trick us into eating! Stick with it!