weight lose after sugery

janalou
on 9/13/14 1:35 am - Canada

My by-pass surgery was Sept. 2 and the first time I weighed myself was Sept. 9, I was down 7lbs. Since then the scale has not moved, is this normal, I starting to get a little concerned. Ant advice?   Jan

InTransition
on 9/13/14 6:12 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I think the only advice and the best advice is to talk with your doc about it.  If you're doing everything on your side (drinking water, eating the right amount of protein), then just give it time.  It's not unusual to have 7-9 lbs of fluid weight from all the fluids they give you in the hospital, so that might have been your initial drop, but it takes a bit for your body to figure out what the heck just happened!  

Don't be too hard on yourself, or feel too down.  It's going to happen - just not always as fast as we would like.

janalou
on 9/13/14 7:15 am - Canada

Thanks, that makes me feel better, everything is just so new.

lburrell
on 9/13/14 12:41 pm

It was completely normal for me...for almost 2 weeks just a week out of surgery, the scale didn't move...then it started dropping like gang busters. Be patient.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Marlene D.
on 9/14/14 12:06 am

That was a great question.. Cuz I am 10 days out and I stepped on the scale this morning and gained .8 lbs....and I am doing everthing I am suppose to....getting tired of liquids only tho a month on Thursday...

Marlene

TinaInTexas
on 9/14/14 1:44 am

This is the most confusing time for me, I re-read Dr Dirk's booklet he gives to everyone and he told me no reason to empty your body before surgery, just nothing after mid-night.  He also said anything you can blend is okay. I am worried I will hurt my new stomach eating cottage cheese & banana mashed up or flan { low sugar / good protein / okay on the carbs }

Problem now is tummy is always growling, I drink water & ensure plus, anyone can you tell me how soon will this stop and did you all stick to just " liquids" your first 3 weeks ?  I admit I am having a very hard time getting the protein in...

Thanks

Tina