Clear liquid diet and Protein shakes pre-op

Briszymendera
on 9/12/14 4:33 am - Philadelphia, PA

This is my first post and I am sooo blessed to have this support. I am scheduled for my sleeve surgery in 5 days and I am sooo excited. I am on my clear liquid diet with protein shakes pre op but I was wondering if you could have more than 3 protein shakes per day.  Sometimes I want a change from the water and sugar free drinks and maybe want something that tastes like a meal since I can't really eat anything except jello,  broth,  and popsicles. Has anyone had experience with this? Also anyone that has ideas for variety during the clear liquid phase would be appreciated

InTransition
on 9/12/14 6:00 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I had the healthy request cream soups and broth. I prefer savory to sweet, so that provided a nice change for me.  Also, my doc allowed me to put PB2 (dried peanut butter) into things, so I would put that into SF chocolate pudding to make almost a reeses peanut butter cup flavor.  You can add unflavored protein to any of those if you wish, but sometimes that gives it a grainy texture.  If you're getting the 60g protein in with the shakes you're doing, I wouldn't do more protein shakes - it puts more stress on your kidneys because they have to filter out the protein your body can't use, and beyond 60g, you don't need more.

Briszymendera
on 9/12/14 7:01 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I'm on clear liquids so I can't have cream soups or pudding right now but that gives me some great ideas when I can. I did not know that about the protein so thank you for that information. I just have to tough it out until surgery day and I'm sure it will all be worth it. It's really not that bad so I just have to keep my eye on the prize! 

C H
on 9/12/14 11:10 am

im allowed 4 protein shakes a day and can have green vegetables. as far as broth I strain the noodles from chicken noodle soup it tastes better and my nutritionist ok'd it. 

Briszymendera
on 9/12/14 12:34 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Straining the chicken noodle soup is a great idea! I will call the nutritionist and ask about the protein shakes. Do you know how much protein your shakes have? 

C H
on 9/12/14 3:59 pm

the only shake i can tolerate is premade premier protein it has 30 grams each container and its 11 fluid ounces

diane48
on 9/12/14 4:10 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

There is a Chicken soup by Unjury that is so  good after surgery.  especially most of the protein drinks are on the sweet side.  The soup and the protein drinks have the amount of protein listed on the packaging or website.  Unjury has a pretty good website.  There is also Isopure which is a high protein clear drink.  It has a strong taste but if you dilute it with water and maybe crystal light it helps.  A lot of people like the Syntrax nectar drinks but I'm not sure if they are clear liquids or not.  A lot of places have sample packs to purchase to see what you may like. 

Check with your Nutritionist about the protein and kidney thing.  Some would say that is a myth.

Briszymendera
on 9/12/14 6:50 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks Diane. I will definitely look for the soup!  I know my protein shakes have 23g of protein and no sugar but you are right that most of them are sweet. Thanks so much for the information! I am using the Nectar by Syntrax. It tastes great and I did order a sample pack from Vitalady which has helped because they do have some shakes that are like Crystal light. I will definitely check out the website for Injury! Thanks again for the info!