SLEEVE vs RNY

Kim N.
on 9/11/14 10:49 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Let me introduce myself ~ My name is Kim.  I am fat and I need help!  I am 62 and have been big my entire life.  The ONLY one in my family who has had weight struggles.  My 1st 3hr consultation is next Tuesday.  I have been reading such wonderful posts in regard to both surgeries.  Because I have had a heart attack and have stents I worry about all of the issues that may arise with RNY and vitamin and mineral deficiencies down the road.  I want to make an informed decision since it will be a lasting one but I also want to get this fat off of me once and for all.  Thank you for reading this and I hope you will accept me into such an ELITE group of hard working people. 

BorderCollieMama

jenn1469
on 9/11/14 10:59 am

Welcome to the group. ..I had the sleeve done 3 months ago and I feel great.  I don't have any heart issue so I don't know what surgery is best for you.  All I no is myself and I'm down to a size 8 in 3 months and no longer have pain in my bones. Good luck to you. 

Jennifer

Kim N.
on 9/11/14 11:13 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to reply :)

BorderCollieMama

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/11/14 1:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi & Welcome! I also have been big all my life, but I also have family that is big too, though none as big as me. If you're looking to see how the rny experiences differ from the vsg experience you should go to their forums & post questions there, you might get more answers regarding the stents & vitamin deficiencies.

The best answers will really come from your doctor since he knows more about you than we would, especially all 1 can do here is tell you of their own experiences & offer advice & support based on what they went thru. Me, no heart problems & I went with the vsg so I don't malabsorb any nutrients but I do take vitamins based off of my lab work. Definitely find out as much as you can on all the surgeries & choose the best one for you! Good luck in whatever you choose!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/12/14 5:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Hi Kim.  Welcome to OH.

Because of your past medical history, your doctor might have a recommendation for the type of surgery.  Both the RNY and VSG have pluses and minuses.  It all depends on what will work best for you personally.

My surgeon gave me the option of either the RNY or VSG.  I chose the VSG because I like that my stomach still functions as a stomach.  I needed restriction since I was a quantity eater. 

Good luck in your progress.  Believe me when I tell you that this is the best decision I've ever made and I feel so much better.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220