complications from a cesarean... would ohip help?

linds
on 9/10/14 2:30 am

I had a baby 8 months ago with an unplanned cesarean, and have had many issues with healing. It took over 4 months for the incision to close and now i get rashes.

Everytime i work out, i get rashes.. like a yeast infection at the incision site.

I am obese, and am trying to work on that, but it's very discouraging having this happen. I try to keep everything dry and clean, but it doesn't seem to help all the time.

I do have excess stomach hang and would love to try and lose 80 to 100 pounds.

Is there anything i can do to help with the burning rashes?

Would ohip eventually help with the cost of a tummy tuck or something with the issues I've been having and if i lost weight?

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

Member Services
on 9/10/14 2:52 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 

May we suggest you post this on the Pregnancy after Weight Loss Surgery  You may be more responses there.

Good luck!

Patm
on 9/10/14 6:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

YOu might also try the Ontario forum. On the Ohip site there are criteria for a pannectomy. If you wish you can up grade to a tummy tuck. Make sure all of your rashes are documented. If you are going to lose weight it is best to have this done after since you will have more loose skin

MsBatt
on 9/10/14 11:38 am

Couple of questions. Have you had WLS, and if so, what kind? If not, are you interested in having WLS, and if so, what kind? You say you'd like to lose 80-100 pounds. Have you already lost some weight, and this is how much more you want to lose?

I know nothing about OHIP, but I suspect you'd need to get a surgeon to say having a tummy tuck or panneculectomy was 'medically necessary' in order to get it covered. In that case, you need to start seeing a doctor every time your rash flares up, and be sure it's documented in your records. Take photographs, too.

Now, about curing/preventing the rash in the first place---yes, keeping it dry and clean is the number one priority. To clear it up, diaper-rash cream works VERY well. Once it's healed, dry very completely after you shower. Some find using a hair dryer helpful. Then, use a spray-on deodorant over the entire affected area. I prefer one that has a powder fini****'s also helpful to take a clean, soft, cotton cloth and place it in the folds of skin, in order to keep skin from touching skin. (This pretty much requires you wear really snug undies or shapewear.)

C H
on 9/10/14 2:46 pm

in regards to your burning rash, I can relate, I have them very frequently under my breasts, armpits and under my hanging tummy, the only thing that works for me is over the counter fungal cream called clotrimazole I usually apply it after my shower lay down for a while for the skin to absorb the medication.. what might work for the under the tummy is to get an extra long feminine pad and take out the strip and fold the sticky side together and place the pad under your tummy, I had to do this and was instructed by my OB to keep the area dry and it works, it helped out a lot postpartum.

linds
on 9/11/14 2:02 am

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I'll start photographing, documenting and contacting my doctor when I have issues.

I do use the clotrimazole cream now, and it works well.. it just seems like I'm going through so much of it, and it doesn't leave the greatest smell. :(

I do have a medical cloth that was given to me by my nurses who treated my wound for the four months. I'll have to suck it up and start wearing it. (just feel embarrassed)

As far as weight loss, I only gained 6 pounds with my pregnancy, so i'm down about 20 pounds since having my daughter, but definitely still need to lose at least 80 pounds. So far, I've just been trying to eat right and exercise.

I'll also try the Ontario board.

Thanks so much!