Surgery selection

Lemise
on 9/11/14 9:57 am

I was wondering how you guys chose the surgery you decided on? Thank you.

Bette B.
on 9/11/14 11:28 am

11 years ago, when I was contemplating surgery, there were fewer well-known options than there are now. RNY and Band were the two you heard about most. RNY was, for ME, too much surgery, too much changing around my insides. So that left the band. I'm still happy with my choice.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/11/14 12:42 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

When I first started this process I was firmly in lap band territory. No way did I want my stomach cut or insides rearranged. Well as I progressed & became more informed I got over the don't touch my stomach & even considered the DS but ultimately decided on the vsg. I didn't want to live with malabsorbtion of nutrients for life, no matter what the statistics for ds or rny. I also knew that I wouldn't lose weight as quickly as the rny & ds people but figured I didn't gain all this weight in a year & probably won't lose it all in a year either, but at least this time around I hope to keep it off. I'm only a little more than 4 months post op & I still feel I made the best decision for me. Good luck in whatever you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/11/14 3:30 pm - OH

My only choices 7 years ago were lap band, RNY, or DS.  The sleeve was not yet available as a standalone surgery.

If I were personally making the decision now, though, and had all four options available, I would opt for the VSG.  IMO, 18 months of temporary caloric malabsorption (and therefore slightly faster weight loss) with the RNY  just isn't worth a lifetime of vitamin malabsorption, prohibition on NSAIDs, and an artificial stoma (instead of the pyloric valve) that can get stretched out.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/11/14 10:00 pm - UK

Like Bette, in 2006 the only options put to me were band or bypass. I didn't want malabsorption so went for the band. Eight and a half years later, I am still happy with my decision.

you need to consider your present patterns ( volume eater, grazer, carb guzzler), how you want to live after surgery (each surgery brings a slightly dfferent lifestyle in terms if eating patterns). 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 9/12/14 2:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My suggestion is to learn all you can about the RNY, VSG and DS.  They each work and address obesity differently.  Then learn about the other one-off's and experimental procedures out there if your'e so daring.  Next, you should consider your weight and diet history to find the best match.

• Did you lose weight on diets, or did your body fight you back?
  • Is eating less all you need to do?
  • Do you think your metabolism works against you?

These answers differ from person to person, and you know yourself way better than any surgeon can sum you up in a 15 min consult.  There are a lot more dynamics than "calories in-calories out" for many of us, so you want to take all of this into consideration.  Other questions to consider for yourself:

• Are you able and willing to get into good habits with supplementation?
  • Do you have a long-term need to take NSAIDS?
  • Do you presently suffer from GERD?

These should also be taken into consideration when selecting a surgery, for they have different requirements and side effects.

On the note of RNY and DS, it's important to know that the malabsorption give the patient a metabolic edge over simple restriction and it does NOT have to lead to malnutrition.  That is within your own control there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes