Comorbities ??

wapuska
on 9/9/14 6:51 am - Reisterstown, MD

I have a BMI of 36.2. I have mild diastolic dysfunction, arterial hypertension, high cholesterol and sinus tachycardia. I am wondering some of the comorbities that you all can share that have gotten approval from insurance. Are these enough? My consultation apt is at the end of the month and I see my Cardio Doc Thurs.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

wapuska
on 9/9/14 6:51 am - Reisterstown, MD

I have a BMI of 36.2. I have mild diastolic dysfunction, arterial hypertension, high cholesterol and sinus tachycardia. I am wondering some of the comorbities that you all can share that have gotten approval from insurance. Are these enough? My consultation apt is at the end of the month and I see my Cardio Doc Thurs.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

jenn1469
on 9/9/14 10:23 am

Mine was 36 and I have arthritis and I was approved.  Good luck

Jennifer

White Dove
on 9/9/14 10:57 am, edited 9/9/14 10:58 am - Warren, OH

Possible Co-Morbidities List for OHIP:
Diabetes
Hypertension
Elevated Cholestrol
Elevated Triglycerides
Heart Attack & Congestive Heart Failure
Cardiac Arrhythmias, Sudden Death
Stroke
Renal Failure
Pulmonary Artery Hypertension
Cor Pulmonale (right heart failure)
Lung restriction
Shortness of breathe on exertion
Decreased Exercise Tolerance
Asthma
Heavy Snoring
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Cancer
Uterine Lining cancer
Heartburn (GERD)
Joint and back pain
Accelerated Degenerative Joint Disease
Gallstone formation
Hormone Abnormalities
Excess Estrogen
Abnornal Menstrual Cycle
Infertility
Excess Testosterone
Facial Hair
Stress incontinance
Varicose Veins
Leg, Ankle Swellings
Rashes, infections, excess sweating
Panniculitis (infected abdominal skin fold)
Nephrotic Syndrome
Hernias
Increased risk of certain cancers
Steatohepatitis (fat induced hepatitis)
Hypercoagulable States
Pulmonary embolism
Trauma
Gout
Lack of self esteem
Social rejection
Loss of job potential
Inappriopriate coping strategies
Depression
Anxiety

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 11:09 am, edited 9/9/14 11:09 am - OH

Lack of self-esteem, anxiety, social rejection, loss of job potential, and inappropriate coping strategies?!?  Trauma?!?  WTH?!?   Trauma is not caused by being obese and losing weight will not "cure" trauma, so that is just ridiculous.

I don't know who made up this list, but they might as well just not require any comorbidities.  Most insurance companies have a MUCH more stringent list.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 11:12 am - OH

It depends on your individual insurance policy.  Most are MUCH more restrictive than the huge list posted below!

If you call your insurance company, they should be able to tell you what comorbid conditions qualify.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/14 7:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Talk to your insurance company directly, but you may also want to ask your surgeon about this. Sleep apnea is a commonly-accepted comorbidity, and if you're not already diagnosed, the surgeon may order a sleep study to check for it. Mine says that 80% of his patients have apnea, even if they had never taken the test. Based on your health history, s/he may refer you for additional testing before proceeding.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Heres2AHealthierMe
on 9/10/14 9:02 am

Hi Tina. I'd love to share my experience thus far. I'm scheduled to be sleeved on September 22, 2014. My co morbidities  that aided in the approval for my surgery are: (1). Obesity. I'm 5'4" and weigh 360. Down from 389 (my highest weight).

(2). Hypertension 

(3). I have a benign hypertensive heart condition that my cardiologist says will resolve itself after weight loss. 

(4). Arthritis in my knees

(5). Chronic back pain when standing or walking long distances.  I fortunately do not have sleep apnea 😊

(6). I have asthma 

So as you can see I have a laundry list of things that aided in my approval. I am also fortunate to have not developed diabetes .

My process took six months total from the time I attended the info seminar, met with the surgeon, had my medical, pyschological, pulmonary, and cardiology clearance testing done, finished four required nutrition visits (for insurance) , and had my pre admission testing done and was put on t h e surgery schedule. I'm so excited and I wish you luck in your journey to a healthier you. 😊

wapuska
on 9/11/14 8:40 am - Reisterstown, MD

TY everyone :)). I met with my cardio today and she said she would most certainly right a letter of support as will my primary. I look forward to the consult the end of the month.

wapuska
on 9/11/14 8:40 am - Reisterstown, MD

TY everyone :)). I met with my cardio today and she said she would most certainly right a letter of support as will my primary. I look forward to the consult the end of the month.