Depression meds

C H
on 9/9/14 4:36 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyones weight loss is at a lower pace due to depression meds, I know its one of the things that has made me gain weight, also did you need to adjust it after surgery, thank you!

jenn1469
on 9/9/14 5:04 am

I would say my mess haven't affected me at all I'm losing justas fast as eeveryone else.  Ni they weren't changed 

Jennifer

TexasTerritory
on 9/9/14 9:02 am
VSG on 07/22/13
My meds did not cause me to gain weight prior the WLS. I have taken meds when I was skinny before and then when I was obese. I have taken my meds throughout my weight journey without any problems. I am at my goal weight. And have held this weight for five months.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 10:51 am - OH

What medication are you on?  Most doctors are aware of the SSRIs and SSNIs that are weight-neutral (which, actually, is most of them) and will try those first for patients who are already overweight or obese.

Also be aware that anti-depressants don't just magically cause you to gain weight (or to not lose weight). You gain (or don't lose) based on what you eat just as without the meds.  Some meds tend to increase the appetite but with careful tracking of your food intake (both amount and choices) you can still control your weight in them.  It just takes being more diligent about what you eat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TexasTerritory
on 9/10/14 7:13 am
VSG on 07/22/13

Linsie
on 9/10/14 12:34 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I'm only 3.5 months post op from RNY surgery - so my meds have stayed the same. Eventhough the one has a malabsorption issue, it seems okay with me so far. It's important to know though, as you lose weight your dosage may need to be adjusted. The meds worked on someone much heavier than once you're at your goal weight, so you could be overdosing your new little body (when it gets to that point). That's not to say though that you don't require the same dose at a lower weight, just something to keep in mind.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/14 7:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm on a whole bunch of meds for bipolar and gained weight every time I adjusted my dose, even with the "weight-neutral" meds or the ones likely to cause loss. My psychiatrist was actually the one who got me to seriously consider WLS.

If you have the RNY, you'll need to switch from extended-release meds (XL or XR) to the regular-acting kind. Otherwise, there should be no need to adjust for absorption.

I did have to tweak one med (Lamictal) about 6 weeks post op because of the infamous "hormone dump;" that med is made less effective by excess estrogen, such as birth control pills, so I had to take a larger dose for a few months. Otherwise, smooth sailing!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!