DID anyone else out there have problem with BCBS CPT coding for LAP DS?

blessed-beautiful4
on 9/10/14 2:57 am, edited 9/10/14 2:56 am

Hello everyone? I ran into some problems today my doctors office called and said it is approved they are just having to clarify some coding. When I asked what coding and for what? They told me my insurance wants clarification for the code 43659. I would have been having my surgery today, but now it has been pushed out two weeks due to this. So has anyone dealt with the LAP DS and coding issues? If so what codes were used for you to get approved? I am a nurse and I understand the coding and why they need clarification but I am lost on all of the codes needed for LAP DS.  I have been doing some research and I come up with different ones and the same ones so anyone out there with this issue and if so HELP ME! I was preapproved now it is just coding issues and at that a clarification. I am so ready for this JOURNEY to begin

blessed-beautiful4
on 9/10/14 2:57 am, edited 9/10/14 2:56 am

Hello everyone? I ran into some problems today my doctors office called and said it is approved they are just having to clarify some coding. When I asked what coding and for what? They told me my insurance wants clarification for the code 43659. I would have been having my surgery today, but now it has been pushed out two weeks due to this. So has anyone dealt with the LAP DS and coding issues? If so what codes were used for you to get approved? I am a nurse and I understand the coding and why they need clarification but I am lost on all of the codes needed for LAP DS.  I have been doing some research and I come up with different ones and the same ones so anyone out there with this issue and if so HELP ME! I was preapproved now it is just coding issues and at that a clarification. I am so ready for this JOURNEY to begin

Member Services
on 9/10/14 2:54 am - Irvine, CA

Hello 

If you have not already done so, post this on the Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

Good luck!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/10/14 3:51 am

It's a hard question to answer because it is somewhat dependent on what specific codes your plan covers. I suspect the office is using an unspecified code, and that is the difficulty.

At work, we frequently give a medication that has an assigned code and has had since January, but a few of our payors are still using the dump code because their systems don't recognize the new code.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Lisenros
on 9/10/14 8:13 am

Hi. I found a message board about this. The code they suggested was 43845. I would look into this one and see if that is what you are wanting.

blessed-beautiful4
on 9/10/14 8:40 am

Lisenros,

hello thanks I will call the office and see if that helps!!!

blessed-beautiful4
on 9/10/14 8:40 am

Lisenros,

hello thanks I will call the office and see if that helps!!!

MsBatt
on 9/10/14 11:49 am

Is this a message board/website where you can actually look up a code and see what it's for? Can you post a link?

MsBatt
on 9/10/14 11:50 am

Do you Face Book? If so, join a group called Duodenal Switch Patients as ask there. There are several insurance people who post there.

blessed-beautiful4
on 9/10/14 6:16 pm

Ms Batt,

thank you I will join that and see if I can find out something?!