how long did it take

CGervolstad2385
on 9/9/14 12:11 pm

How long after having surgery did it take to loose the weight I am having the sleeve. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/14 12:35 pm - OH

That depends on how much weight you need to lose!  

It also depends a LOT on how much and what you eat, how much you exercise, and your general metabolism. Two people can need to lose the same amount of weight and one person may lose it much more quickly if they are very strict about diet and exercise.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/9/14 9:20 pm - UK

Depends on what you eat, how much you eat, how much you exercise, how old you are, which gender you are, how heavy you are, your metabolism. 

sorry, not trying to be unhelpful but some people lose 30lbs in the first month, some lose 4lbs. Some reach their goal in six months, others take two years.

i'm banded not sleeved so eat a lot more than a sleeved person and I lost all my excess weight (109lbs) in just over 15 months. A good friend, also banded lost that amount in six months. And we both had the same surgery and ate similar amounts. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jocelyn3000
on 9/9/14 9:48 pm, edited 9/9/14 9:48 pm

I had sleeve surgery 15 days ago and so far have lost 23 lbs (including 10 from the pre-surgery diet).  But don't just pay attention to the scales, I highly recommend taking photos of your progress.  It's feels much more rewarding to physically see your results.  Good luck!

Tracy D.
on 9/10/14 12:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As the other posters have stated, there are a LOT of variables in this equation!   You can go to the VSG forum and look at the signature line of other people's posts to get an idea.   For example:  at surgery date I was 218 lbs, 5'3" tall.  I got down to 135 lbs. within 7 months and 1 week.  That is faster than some and slower than others.  

Beginning weight, height and age make a BIG difference as does the type of plan you follow post-op.  I went with 800-900 calories, less than 40 grams of carb and 80 grams of protein per day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

gmantek
on 9/10/14 4:10 am

I had the sleeve almost 5 months ago. I had one month preop diet where I lost 17 lbs.  Since the actual surgery I have lost another 63 for a total of 80lbs.  I am 5'4, 42yrs old, and started at 270.  I am 190 now and need to get to 160 according to my surgeon, but I'm shooting for 145.  I have stayed very strictly on plan and exercise at least 4 times per week for an hour.  This is more than some and slower than others.  It all just depends on your body!  One thing my surgeon warns about is do not compare yourself to anyone else - I sometimes do that when on the board and it can drive you crazy!  Good luck.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/10/14 4:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Depends on many factors.  It's hard to give you an answer.  Everyone is different.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

tstowe
on 9/10/14 10:29 pm

I'm down 21 lbs in 10 days. Plus, 10 lbs during the two week pre-op diet. I'm enjoying it now but I'm sure the weight loss will slow after I get off the clear liquid diet.

I'd look at past experiences. Did you lose weight fast on strict diets before? Then you probably will after the surgery too.