First MOVE program class today

Missourimedic
on 9/8/14 10:11 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Today I had my first class with the VA program on weight loss called MOVE. I completed what is called Level I and am moving on to level II on the 23 Oct 2014 which is the next open date in by area. I know it is 6 weeks away but I don't have a choose in the matter.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/14 10:45 am - OH

Ok, I am confused.  Your other post says your insurance doesn't cover WLS, but here you say you are undergoing a VA program to prepare for surgery.  If you have medical insurance through the VA, it will cover the surgery.

I am VERY confused.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/8/14 10:53 am

I'm confused too. Did you start with the VA and then switch to another surgeon, or were you hoping to get a quicker surgery date using your UHC coverage?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Missourimedic
on 9/8/14 11:04 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Yes to both questions.

I have 2 medical benefits that I use. One is the VA and the other is UHC. I was trying to see if the UHC cover the WLS due to the fact that I could have it done local and have more chooses in the doctor and where I would go for care, but with the VA I have only one place to go to have it done and that is about 7 hour drive away. With the VA the pre op diet plan is down locally and the surgery is done 7 hours away in Chicago IL.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/14 11:33 am - OH

Thanks for clarifying!  That makes sense.  

It sounds like you are going to have to go the VA route even though it is really inconvenient.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/8/14 11:12 am

Okay, got it. Since your UHC excludes wls, it's good you have the VA. I know it is a pain to travel, though.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Member Services
on 9/8/14 11:34 am - Irvine, CA

Missourimedic
on 9/8/14 11:44 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Yes it is sometimes, today was about a 2 1/2 one way. Yes I am very happy to have the VA, they have a few weird rules but I know that I can deal with them. When I talked to the therapist today about the process for the bariatric program he told me that they are going to  review my chart this month and advised me if I am eligible for the WLS, and if I am I will have a class on the WLS in October.   

White Dove
on 9/8/14 11:41 pm - Warren, OH

Do you have someone to go with you to Chicago?  It would be much more comfortable to fly from Chicago to St Louis than to do the drive after surgery.  There is a danger of leg clots with the long car ride.  It know that the VA will pay for the mileage, but worry about that being the healthiest thing to do right after getting out of the hospital.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Missourimedic
on 9/9/14 5:45 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

yes I do have someone to go to Chicago with me. I was reaching the facts on blood cot and found where I will have to get out and walk around at least ever hour for at least 5 to 10 minutes to avoid the blood cots.

I don't think they will pay mileage due to the fact that it is not service connected