Torn about which surgery to have

questtobehealthy
on 9/6/14 11:48 am

I am totally new here so I'm not sure if I'm even posting on the right place but here goes... I have met all te insurance requirements and have met with my surgeon once for an H&P. I thought that I definitely wanted to go with the RNY but now I am waiting for insurance approval and I am thinking that maybe I should have the sleeve instead. After reading a lot of the posts on here I am worried about reactive hypoglycemia, nutrititional deficiencies and dumping syndrome. If I change my mind, do I have to resubmit to insurance and wait all over again? I am not diabetic, I do have acid reflux, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. I am confused and do not want to prolong the wait by changing surgeries but also don't want to pick the wrong one due to being impatient. I have been working on this for about a year now and I am just ready to get it done. My surgeon said that I would be a good candidate for the rny or the sleeve. Also, I have BC/BS of NC. Sorry message is so long. Any positive input would be helpful...

Hilda25
on 9/6/14 12:55 pm
RNY on 03/16/15

I'm in the same boat. I just started the process and while I initially thought the gastric band is what I wanted, now I'm thinking sleeve.  

MsBatt
on 9/6/14 1:36 pm

YOU are the only person who knows enough about YOU to make this decision. The best advice I can give you is to research ALL your WLS options before choosing which one is right for YOU.

You mention the Sleeve and the RNY, but there's a third option called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the the RNY. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. And the very best stats for the resolution or prevention of diabetes and high cholesterol.

Each form of WLS is going to demand different things from you, and give you a different post-op life. Understand them ALL, and choose the one most likely to allow you to lie happily ever after. (*grin*)

NYMom222
on 9/6/14 2:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Just from what I've heard on these forums the Sleeve can make GERD worse. I am only a few weeks out from RNY, but my niece had it 10 years ago and has kept off 120 pounds. She considers the dumping a blessing in disguise as it keeps her in check- from going overboard. In her words- you do that a few times and you won't want to do that again. Only 30% of people get dumping and even less get reactive hypoglycemia. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 5:40 pm - UK

We are all different! You need to research as much as you can.  You need to decide what sort of eater you are- is your problem your  portion control, grazing, sugary foods etc.. Different surgeries have different effects on your future lifestyle - which would suit you?

For me, the band was the perfect choice although you won't get many posting on here to say that (you might on other web forums). 

But it a very personal decision and must be based on what feels right for you, your current and future lifestyle and your medical issues. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Luvmygs
on 9/7/14 2:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I think is depends on what kind of insurance you have. I have Blue Cross Anthem and they required that I submit the type of surgery before getting approved and I was advised by the WLC that I couldn't change. Unless I wanted to reinstate my approval again. You should onto the Vertical Sleeve Forum and read what most people say about the sleeve. I think you should also do some research on both RNY and Sleeve. They both have their pro's and con's. Good luck on your decision.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/7/14 9:53 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had gerd b4 surgery but my case was very mild & likely caused by the hiatal hernia which was repaired during surgery. I haven't had any symptoms since then. Everyone is different & ultimately you have to decide which surgery is best for you. I initially went for the band but changed my mind & went for the sleeve. I didn't have to do anything over again. They just submitted the code for the sleeve to the ins co. Good luck in whatever you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CMo
on 9/9/14 12:04 pm

I am new here and just posted the same question (awaiting moderator approval). 

Most Active