Why Can't I Stop Eating?

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/14 9:52 am

You know you're not doing well when you eat and eat until you feel sick. I've always been taught to try to finish everything on my plate so that it doesn't get wasted. I know I am not good at portioning out my meals, and I eat several times in a day. Today I poured a bowl of salsa to go with corn chips. For some reason (even though I know I just ate something) I continue to stuff it in. I feel out of control, and now I feel the consequences because of it - stomach ache, bloating, gas, burping. It's so hard to get back on track when I've fallen so far off. Maybe if chips and salsa were not kept in the house, I would be better off. I am not the one that does the shopping around here, so I rarely have a choice about what is brought home.

poet_kelly
on 9/7/14 9:55 am - OH

Do you measure your food?  It helps me to measure my portion and then put the rest of the food away before I begin to eat.  For instance, I would measure out a half cup of salsa and count out 15 tortilla chips, or something like that.  I rarely buy things like tortilla chips because I tend to overeat them anyway, but measuring the salsa and counting out the chips and then putting the chips and salsa away before I sit down to eat helps me with that.

Other than choosing not to measure your food, I don't know why you can't stop eating.  You might want to talk to a therapist about it.  I think it's an issue many of us have dealt with.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/14 10:00 am, edited 9/7/14 10:03 am

I have measured food in the past, and I understand why it is important. I just have a hard time continuing. Commitment can be tough, and I have to really push myself. Also, I sometimes end up taking the entire bag of corn chips to my room to enjoy eating in "peace". That's a big problem right there because no one is around to stop me from eating.

lburrell
on 9/7/14 11:03 am

Now is the time to start practicing the behavior changes you'll need post op. I started logging all my food on my fitness pal preop. I stayed around 1500-1600 calories. If I ate a ton of tortillas...I logged it and if it maxed out my calories for the day...too bad for me. I learned really quickly that small portions allowed me to have other food through the day. I strongly recommend starting now....these are not habits you want to carry with you post surgery. We've all been there with not knowing our limits and eating way more than we need or is healthy. I wish you luck with working on the mind...it has been,by far, the most challenging part of my journey.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/14 11:52 am, edited 9/7/14 11:56 am

That is why I found it helpful to use psychotherapy. Unfortunately, my psychotherapist was on a leave of absence for 3 weeks, and I have forgotten some of the techniques he has taught me such as thought processes, behaviors, etc. I really hope that this week he will respond to my voicemail so that I can continue working on my habits.

somestorm
on 9/7/14 11:50 am
with

I find it easier and much less restrictive-feeling to use small cups and bowls rather than actually measure things out. I have small 8 oz pyrex bowls that are sturdy and the perfect size, go in the oven or microwave or dishwasher, I've bounced them off the concrete floor multiple times, and use them for almost everything but salad. I have more attractive little bowls and plates, but those are the ones that get used. With any good choice food I can only put about 3/4 of a cup in it, so if it fits, I can eat it. Ditto my 1-cup and 1/2 cup tupperwares. I pack lunch by filling it most of the way with chicken salad, chili, pea soup, or whatever it is that I'm having and I'm good to go.

Maybe talk to the person in the house who keeps buying those things and either ask that they don't buy them (nobody "needs" chips although I can understand why they buy them), or that they keep that kind of trigger food in a different part of the house where it's out of your temptation. My willpower is not steel. If there's delicious snacky carbs around long enough, I WILL eat them. I do okay at parties and such, but if it's just in the house or sitting in my group's office, eventually I'll break down and eat some. If it's put away in a different part of the house I don't have a problem. One of the people that I live with eats a lot of almonds, which are a good food but I tend to snack on them like potato chips. I asked if she would keep the bag in her room rather than the kitchen. They're out of sight, out of my reach (I'm really not going to go into her bedroom to sneak almonds), and out of mind.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/14 12:19 pm

I did make a few healthier choices earlier today, such as: cereal with fat free milk, Meijer Greek Vanilla yogurt and a Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, and baby spinach with Lite Italian dressing. I also drink lots of water throughout the day.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/7/14 9:33 pm - UK

When my children were younger, it was a battle to keep them on healthy things while not making them feel deprived. So at the beginning of every month, I bought each of them what I considered a sensible "month 's supply" of things like chips etc..  I then gave them each their share. One of them would eat them all in a few days, a second rationed them over the month, the third came somewhere inbetween.

not suggesting quite that for you! But you could perhaps work along similar lines. But by the day or week. Then if you over-indulge, you have no more until the next time period starts. 

And maybe the others in your house could keep "their" supply in their own rooms, out of temptation for you!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/14 10:16 pm

I have done something sort of like that to stop drinking coffee. It took me awhile to adjust especially in the morning when I usually have a cup or two. If I could just do that for the other things I crave, I will be okay.

jastypes
on 9/8/14 4:03 am - Croydon, PA

This is a quote from the OA 12 and 12, Step 1.  "Compulsive overeaters, however, often have an abnormal reaction when we overindulge.  We can't quit.  A normal eater gets full and loses interest in food.  WE compulsive overeaters crave more.  Some of us even have a strange reaction to particular foods:  while others can comfortably eat single portions of these foods, we feel compelled to eat another serving after we've finished the first.. and then another... and another."

I am a compulsive overeater.  What you described makes absolutely perfect sense to me.  I live in a house of "normal" eaters, and there are cupcakes, chips, crackers, etc. kept even in my bedroom.  They honestly do not call to me anymore.  The good news is that there is a proven, workable method by which this disease can be arrested, and with the magnificent tool of WLS, I have been able to work the steps, abstain from compulsive eating, and maintain a healthy weight. 

Anybody can.  The program of OA is free, available in person, on line and over the phone.  The literature is wonderful, as is just knowing you are not alone.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!