Cost of Vitamin draws

Qajohn
on 9/7/14 2:11 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Its a very big help for sure. Now I just need to find out whether I can spend HSA money on my own for this testing, or if I still need a Dr's order. If I can spend on my own without an order, we may have a winner!!

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 10:32 pm - UK

OUCH!!    Our National Health Service is far from perfect but it makes life so much easier knowing there is no charge for things like this. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 9/7/14 2:19 am, edited 9/7/14 9:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I loved being on an HSA plan!!   After two uneventful years, I stopped seeing my surgeon annually.  I got the list of bloodwork to be done and brought it to my PCP to draw during my annual (no copay-no deductible) physical and I didn't have to pay a thing.  My PCP faxed the results to my surgeon so she could put them in my file.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/7/14 3:49 pm - OH

Mine run about $2000 for a full set of labs including vitamins and related things, thyroid panel, cholesterol, triglycerides, CBC, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Qajohn
on 9/7/14 10:14 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Thank you. So far I have had my labs piecemeal so it's tough to figure out what I am going to pay going forward. This is going to take some homework to make a good decision. 

babs71958
on 9/9/14 8:29 am - Brunswick,OH/Ruskin/FL, FL

I'm between PCPs so I go to DirectLabs.com.  It's an online lab, you order what tests you need and pay by credit card.  Mine run anywhere from $900-1500, depending on what needs to be drawn.  For the first time last month, I sent the receipt to my insurance, in the hopes that they will reimburse me for them.  If they don't, I deduct it as a medical expense on taxes.

Direct Labs also has monthly specials.  A lot of what I need drawn are usually on special or grouped into a panel, which is cheaper than each individual test.

Barb 

Desperately Seeking a revision to a DS.
Be  careful of the toes you step on today because they will be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

CAnutfarmer
on 9/11/14 8:10 am

My last lab work (Feb 14) was $1300 and not discounted by Blue Shield. I had to pay my deductable and then 20%. I ended up paying roughly $300 out of pocket. Now the year prior, all the lab tests were done and billed as routine yearly physical (which is covered 100% because of the ACA) and I didn't pay a dime.... so you can see the cost can vary depending on how it is coded. When I contacted my surgeons office to see why there was a difference, it was said they added a couple more items that they were afraid wouldn't get paid as routine, so they coded it as medically necessary. Not paid 100% under annual physical.

Hope this gives you a little more information to work with.

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
angel22_99
on 9/11/14 8:46 am

Sorry if someone has already said this - Several years ago my husband had an HSA and when we had to pay for something, it was at the insurance co's negotiated rate, not at the standard retail price.  You ought to check and see if this is the common practice at you particular HSA.  From my understanding, the insurance company is still informed on everything you are spending because they have to keep track of it to figure out when you hit your limits.

Also, we deciding what you will do next year, you need to add up your premiums that you would pay with a traditional insurance plan versus what our out of pocket max/premiums is with your HSA (assuming you will hit it each year) and see which is cheaper.  I like how everyone is like "oh, my insurance covers it 100%" but they forget about the $1200 in premiums paid whether the service is used or not.

Qajohn
on 9/11/14 9:20 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I beleve you're correct regarding the cost, and I think someone else said that as well. I am expecting to pay the discounted cost fo rthe labs, whatever that is. I have a visit coming up with my PCP anyway soon, and I am going to see if I can get a quote. 

I also agree with you regarding the premiums. that was why I asked this question in the first place. When I consider HSA vs traditional insurance, I need to look at several things including premiums, cost of service and future costs. Nothing is perfect, but I just want to make an informed decision. I also need to factor in the peace of mind from my current plan, vs potential monely available for health care at retirement.

In any case, a lot to consider. The fun thing is that before my surgery as a diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, the thought of an HSA would never cross my mind. Seeing myself as a healthy person is giving me that freedom.....Hey an NSV for me!!!

Most Active