Weighing Food by Volume

kimber333
on 9/6/14 1:48 am - Budd Lake, NJ

I have asked this question on many different places.  I have asked nutritionist as well.  I 7 weeks out from being sleeved.  I have to meaure all foods by volume not weight.  I can measure mushy foods i.e. tuna egg salad, yogurt etc with a cup to equal 4 oz.  However I am having trouble measuring bread meats etc by volume.  I am supposed to toast my bread but does this mean i have to cut up my bread and put in a measurin cup before I eat it?  I have been trying to do thls with meat.  I am not permitted to weigh my food.  Unfortunately I am a visual learner so I am really confused  

KIMBER333

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 1:52 am - OH

I don't cut up things like toast and put it in a measuring cup, no.  I just kind of eyeball it and make a guess.

I don't understand why you are not permitted to weigh your food, though.  Who is stopping you from weighing food if you want to weigh it?  How are they stopping you from doing that?

It just makes more sense to measure food by volume because your pouch (or sleeve or whatever) only holds a certain volume.  There is no scale in there. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kimber333
on 9/6/14 7:51 am - Budd Lake, NJ

My nutritionist says everything needs to be weighed by volume.  We no longer count calories.  I have repeatedly asked about using a scale because that makes more sense to me  Everyone I have asked uses a scale.  Because I am a visual learner I am finding this quite challenging  Thanks for your help

KIMBER333

KatChat
on 9/6/14 3:37 am

Hey Kimber,

So get the food scale, your 4 oz  measuring container, your camera and do your visual education session.

I measure my food by volume, then  weigh it so I can track it easier in MyFitnessPal  for the nutrition content.   I am 4 weeks out from surgery, so still learning.  Even though I have been weighing and tracking food for a long time, measuring by volume is still new for me.  There is a learning curve with different food textures and consistencies.

After some practice, it probably won’t seem so confusing.  Try measuring your food by volume, then figure the weight of that volume for your meats and proteins to figure out the protein content.  Shortly, you should be able to eyeball it like Kelly replied to make a more educated guess.  I have not had toast or carbs, yet, but I do not think I would be measuring out something like toast for a serving size.  The volume will change when you chew it up.   You can easily just look at the size and figure the fractional amount of that serving size.  Don’t make it too hard or over think it. 

My nutritionist showed some examples of meats/proteins packed into a 2 oz volume measuring container to show the associated protein content when measured by weight.  He also showed us how to associate that 2 oz (volume) serving size with your own thumb dimensions so you can make an educated estimate without loading everything into a measuring cup.  It will get easier as you do it!  Good luck!  KP

kimber333
on 9/6/14 8:11 am - Budd Lake, NJ

By far this the best advice I have received and makes the most sense to me.  No one I know measures this way and so they cant help.  I will get a scale measure in a cup and then weigh it.  I can keep a journal of what everything weighs.  I am becoming more confused.  Now I have to eat protien and carb with every meal 2 bites of protein to 1 bite of carb.  So Im supposed to have 2 ooz and 2 oz or 3 oz and 1 oz at a meal.  I am only on 4 oz 3 times a day.  I can add 2 2oz snacks if needed.  

KIMBER333

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 3:43 am - UK

Not possible unless you live on ground meats and breadcrumbs.  

We don't use cups in the UK ( not just for weight loss, it's just a measuring technique we only use if we try US recipes so most households won't have measuring cups) so we get given more visual guidelines. For example, a piece of meat or fish should be no bigger than a standard deck of playing cards. We judge things which can go on spoons by the tablespoon. 

As Kelly says, you just have to make a judgement. If you really feel the need to be exact  (not my style!), make and cut up one portion of toast and measure it. Then for the future you will know what one slice equals. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 9/6/14 3:46 am

I've found that things like these help . . .

Hand Portion Size doctoc

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 3:48 am - UK

Bette, this is good!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 9/6/14 5:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

3oz is about the size of a deck of cards.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Frankie82
on 9/6/14 2:42 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

I do a fusion of both: I put the measuring cup on the scale, zero the scale, and then fill the cup. That way I know what will fit in my pouch, and I know the grams/oz to log in MFP.