1 year post vertical sleeve

amthekim
on 9/5/14 10:50 am

My name is Kim, I'm 51 years old, and had vertical sleeve surgery last September 29, 2013. Pre-surgery I weighed 343lbs. I weigh about 200lbs now and am still losing. My experience has been great. I used Dr. Michael Lee at UT Southwestern in Dallas. I've had no complications and feel wonderful. I wanted to list some very important tips that I hope will be beneficial to anyone considering or currently going through this procedure.

1. Remember - this surgery does not make you magically lose weight without any effort on your part. It is a tool to help you. You must commit to permanent eating changes and how you regard food. Food is for nutrition, not comfort. You must be prepared to give up the habits, and even some foods, that caused you to gain weight.
  2. Have a good, strong support network. You don't need family and friends sabotaging your weight loss efforts, whether they intend to or not. Make sure everyone's on board with you and will not enable old bad eating habits or try to convince you to indulge sometimes. Stick to your guns and stay strong. Avoid those who aren't supportive.
  3. Follow all the rules; don't take shortcuts or think you know better than the experts on what, when, and how much you should or shouldn't eat. These are tried and true processes and are in place to maximize your weight loss while maintaining your health.
  4. Don't weigh every day. Once a week, the same day and time, will be fine. If you micromanage your weight loss, you can drive yourself crazy and possibly even set yourself back.  Your weight will come off quicker at first but will then slow down to a safer, sustainable pace.
  5. Pray often, stay active, and enjoy the new life you have been given. This should not be about vanity but about health and wellbeing. Learn to care less about food and more about living every day to the fullest. Drink clean water, exercise, and be happy. You don't have to be fanatical about dieting - just make smart choices.

My experience at UTSW was great - my surgery went without a hitch and the surgeon and staff were amazing. I have no regrets. I am grateful for every day I have been given to live a fuller, healthier life.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding this procedure.

God bless and good luck!

Kim

Member Services
on 9/6/14 2:13 am - Irvine, CA

NYMom222
on 9/6/14 2:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

great Testimonial. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago at around the same weight. I would be so happy in a year to be at 200 pounds. Always a great encouragement to see people being successful. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

carpurrson
on 9/13/14 3:00 am

Thank you, Kim, for your post. I am currently completing preparation for gastric sleeve surgery which will probably be in Dec or Jan. You answered some of my questions and offered some sound advice. I'm glad your experience went so well. Hope mine does. I'm in northern Florida and no local support group close to me so I plan on depending a lot on internet support. Thanks again!