Waiting to drink water after you drink protein

Valerie G.
on 9/5/14 6:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Wet is wet in my book, and all things wet count.  The only reason I could see to wait is if you're full.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklegigi
on 9/5/14 6:53 am - La Verne, CA

love that answer!

Bibo
on 9/7/14 1:03 pm

I did a barium swallow as a post op, and watched the barium, which is the same consistency as a typical protien drink, move through my pouch on the x ray. They had me take a sip of water and it actually did rinse it out....then they repeated the test with a bit of "fizz" which was no fun. What I thought was interesting was that the radiologist explained the whole process of swallowing...different groups of muscles that move the food or liquid from the mouth through the throat, to the pouch and on down....at any point, there can be "getting stuck"....whether liquid or solid. water moves fastest of all. Then solid food, and shakes somewhere in the middle. I have a swallowing disorder, where I was told to swallow a bit of water right after eating and NOT wait,as it will stay in my throat, and not get moved to my pouch. Just thought it was interesting.

lmuse333
on 9/8/14 9:52 am

I was told by my doctor not to drink water 30 minutes before or after a meal or protein shake. The reason for this is because there is a valve at the base of your stomach called the pyloric valve that opens and closes. Protein is what triggers it to close. With RNY the valve is removed with the bypass. But with a sleeve the valve is kept. So with a sleeve it is somewhat important to make sure that you aren't drinking other liquids that push your protein through that valve, not just because avoiding other fluids till 30 minutes or more after a meal helps you to stay full longer and get the most nutritional absorption out of what you are consuming but my nutritionist also told me that people who drink too soon after a meal whether it be protein shakes or will alot of times experience diarrhea. I'm on the phase 3 soft solids diet and I was told that if I feel like I need to drink something with my meal to drink protein shakes and no****er.