Rushing

Valerie G.
on 9/6/14 5:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, hated all protein drinks, and my goals were 100g of protein right out of the gate.  I turned to a product called ProSTAT64,which had 15g in one tiny ounce.  It's not the best protein, but I had three double-doses and ate protein strategically to surpass my goal very quickly.  It was the most godawful taste ever, but I could slam down a nyquil cup size, rinse my mouth and coat it with peanut butter -- all while holding my nose.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jocelyn3000
on 9/6/14 7:29 am

I also had a VSG on 8/26 so your story really jumped out at me!  I feel your pain.  The protein drinks are pretty annoying.  One thing that is helping me drink them is by adding extracts.  I bought banana, coconut and pumpkin spice and add them to either chocolate or vanilla flavored protein shakes.  There are tons of flavors out there too.  I even saw "red velvet cake" flavoring.  You can just google extracts and pick a site.  I went with www.olivenation.com You may want to check with your surgeon too to double check that extracts are ok.  My doctor was fine with it.  Good luck!

NLHRN
on 9/6/14 8:50 am
VSG on 08/26/14 with

I'm another VSG done 8/26.  I was clear liquids for 1week and full liquids for 2nd week then soft starting the 3rd week for 2 more weeks.

Yes, the protein shakes have gotten to me too,,but I get them down like you have been. My savior has been soups!! I put them in the blender with either skim milk or broth and feel like I'm really getting something good and not just forcing a shake like I do in the am & pm!! 

Good luck!! You can do this!! It will ALL BE WORTH IT!!!

AlohaAll
on 9/6/14 2:41 pm

I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and bought single servings of several dry powdered protein drinks. By far the easiest for me were the Click Expresso drinks. They have several flavors and 15gm of protein. To up the protein, I've been making them with skim milk n/s of water. I also found they tasted better hot.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 8:57 pm - UK

Just noticed while reading ths thread, no less than three different offers of free samples of proten shakes have come up in the ads above the posts. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jennifer G.
on 9/7/14 3:58 am

I hate the protein shakes too.  I buy the chocolate Premier brand at costco and pour it into a blender with some ice and a banana and blend it up and it's much more tolerable.   I also make a daily smoothie with spinach, a carrot, banana, frozen strawberries and blueberries and a little yogurt and some water so it will mix well.  I add the vanilla protein powder and sometimes some cottage cheese for extra protein and to make it creamy.  It's much better than the milk/banana smoothie they recommend (which is horrible!).  Also a lot more vitamins.  I also like to add ground flax seeds for extra nutrition and fiber. 

Good luck!

Bibo
on 9/7/14 2:03 pm

I was making protein sugar free jello, and protein soup, (beans and also beef stock). A lot of people don't like isopure, but it didn't bother me, I got the raspberry flavored one in the glass bottle at GNC and made Popsicle out of it.  Also, i found myself going through food withdrawl...it's hard to not eat the way I used to eat. Had to find other ways to cope with emotions and life in general without turning to my very best friend...What.s in the Fridge. GNC also makes some protien pudding whuich wasn't bad.....good luck,,,take it a day/meal at a time

TempiB
on 9/9/14 7:51 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

Early on I used the Unjury unflavored protein powder and added it to jello.  It really helped me get my protein in without having to drink it or taste it.  Other than jello and coffee, I have not figured out how to use the Unjury unflavored because I can taste it.  But it was useful in the first couple of months after surgery.  I guess it could be added to warm soup but I just always used the Chicken Broth flavor for that.   

Early on I ordered a bunch of sample packs from Vitalady and there were some I kind of liked but ended up settling on the Unjury Vanilla and Chocolate.  The vanilla is great in coffee and I drink the chocolate in milk for an afternoon snack.  It tastes like chocolate milk.  It also helps to satisfy any sweet craving that I might be having so I'm generally not tempted to go off plan. 

It is hard to go without solid food during the early phase but you just have to put the big girl panties on and do it.  Lay in the floor and pitch a fit if you have to but then get up, dust yourself off and drink your protein. 

I remember reading a blog one time written by a woman that had decided to detox cold turkey from a heavy sugar addiction.  She said that she would have days where she would literally cry because she wanted sugar so much.  So she did.  Literally.  She would lay in her floor and cry, pitch a hissy, mourn the loss of sugar and then she would get up and move on.  So let yourself go through the struggle and emotions and cry if you need to but then you have to get it together and just do what you have to do.  It's only for a season and you have to conquer this because there will be other strugges along the way that are harder.  Like what do you do when you can eat solid food and that piece of cake is staring at you calling your name?  If you haven't strenghtened your resolve during this early phase you won't have the "muscle" to resist the harder temptations later. 

So like we say in Texas: Pull yourself up by your boot straps get in your four wheel drive and barrel through sister! This journey isn't for the faint of heart but you can do this!

HW:303   SW:297