Rushing

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/5/14 2:22 pm

Kelly and Amy weren't rude or mean. You do see like you want us to tell you something specific.

I had to do three full weeks of liquids post op. It sucked. The protein shakes were really sweet and unappetizing. But I got through it. 

Here's the thing about advancing your diet: post op stomachs can be touchy. If you vomit it will probably hurt. You also cannot rely on your new stomach to tell you when you've had enough.

I had a pill get stuck at two weeks out and threw up. It hurt.

Some people do have plans that allow them food right away. Yours doesn't. It's hard to get through but you can.

You might think people are bagging on you-they aren't. People are trying to help. Deviating from your plan this early out doesn't bode well.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Kate -True Brit
on 9/5/14 4:54 pm - UK

We all know this is hard. But it really is necessary. I do however have one suggestion (I am almost sure that I have already made this one to you). 

Make your own version of protein shakes. Cook up or buy a basic soup. Add in a can of chick peas for protein. Blend, adding water or skimmed milk to get to the correct consistency. Much cheaper than bought protein shakes, tastes of whatever you choose. But remember they are not as high protein as shop-bought shakes so you will need to have extra "meals". But if you are currently only able to swallow a couple of mouthfuls, then anything is better. 

I just used to throw any vegetables I had around (carrots, turnip, onions etc.) into a pan with stock or water, boil till soft, add the chick peas or lentils, blend. Only needed to do it every few days as kept a jugful ready in the fridge. 

But your first port of call should be to ask your doctor/ nutritionist. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sharlit
on 9/5/14 5:22 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

Soup - make your own with vegetables and chick peas or cannellini beans. You'll get protein from the beans and a change in flavour. Do not rush into the next phase against your surgeon's program - the risks are too great.

I am facing the same process and have familiarity with it having a lap band (which is being removed). I am making batches of different soups - pea soup, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato and chick pea. I have the ingredients to make smoothies - milk, banana, some yoghurt (but has to be really well blended to avoid lumps). We all need variety!

I do understand the frustration but it's only a couple of weeks and I'm sure you can think of some other things you could make that won't cost a fortune and give you the variety you're craving.

Good luck with it,

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/14 10:44 pm

If the protein shakes you don't like the flavor you can add things to them.If you have vanilla you can add it to coffee. I know it is not easy but you do not want to hurt yourself.

I still drink a protein shake in the morning.I am not a big breakfast person.I mix coffee with syntrax vanilla and add some nutmeg to it. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/14 11:03 pm - OH

Try drinking beef or chicken STOCK. It is much higher in protein than broth (and has more flavor).  

Not every surgeon requires such a lengthy period of liquids and it is  unfortunate that you chose a surgeon that DOES.  (I wish people would take the required post-op plan into consideration when they are choosing a surgeon rather than just pulling a surgeon's name out of the phonebook.  One of the many reasons I chose my surgeon was the fact that she put people back on soft food after just a few days)  

It is possible, though, that (s)he requires it simply because it is easier for HIM/HER to have people on liquids than they have to deal with dozens of calls from people who are having trouble with different foods, and that if you call and ask, they will give you permission to move to some soft foods early.  

I have some protein powder samples that I am probably not going to use before they go bad (I drink them VERY rarely since I am 7 years out... but I like to have some around for when I don't feel well, etc.) If you are willing to send me a private message with your address, I will send them to you.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 9/5/14 11:15 pm

When you have a VSG you have a very long staple line that goes the vertical length of your stomach. Chances of leaks are very high and that is why the liquid diet is usually (but not always) a bit longer post op. 

I have always thought calling protein a "shake"  makes it harder for some to get down. You see Strawberry or vanilla and you assume it's going to taste like a milkshake. It should be called " a get over it it's something you need post op to live and heal until you can transition to solid foods" a necessary part of the weight loss surgery you signed up for.  Hold your nose and drink it down. No one is fond of them but its not negotable. 

We have all gone through what you are dealing with. I am doing it again because of a late term complication.

The people here are giving you advise from personal experience. We all have all had kids to deal with, been broke at some point and emotional. There are a thousand people who would love to be on your shoes getting surgery and a fresh start in life. 

Drink the protein and deal with it. It's not a milkshake. It's a necessary that will help your staple line and your body heal. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

nonsenseprecious
on 9/6/14 1:21 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I was fine with protein shakes before surgery - I'd tried a bunch and found several I liked - but afterwards, I couldn't stand them or anything very sweet. (My surgery was 8/14; I am currently on purees.) What saved me was Genepro Musclegen protein powder, which I bought from Amazon. It's unflavored and mixes in with pretty much anything, or at least everything I've tried. I can put it in unsweetened peppermint tea (hot or iced--very nice on the stomach), Crystal Light lemonade, plain Greek yogurt, soup, etc. (I was allowed FF plain yogurt on full liquids, but your plain may differ.) Now that I can have purees, I've also tried it with cottage cheese, ricotta, and applesauce, among other things. Truly a lifesaver for me. It's pricey, but a serving is only one tablespoon (30 grams of protein), so it will last a while. I agree with others upthread that you have to commit, but I also think you need to give yourself a break and find what will work. Your tastes have probably changed. Mine did! Good luck to you and hang in there!

Gina 22 years out
on 9/6/14 9:18 am - Burleson, TX

I learned something today---wrote that one down--will def have to try it. At over 12 yrs out, I still supplement with powdered protein, usually at least once a day...I've tried 100s of them...my tastes continue to change...always looking for new stuff

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

nonsenseprecious
on 9/7/14 12:58 am
VSG on 08/14/14

It's great stuff! Someone on these boards recommended it, and I am forever grateful! I think the price can be offputting at first, but when you consider the small serving size and the fact that you can mix it with pretty much any "normal" food, it probably works out to be less expensive in the long run. Congratulations on your 12 years. You look amazing!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/7/14 3:36 pm - OH

I'm a bit skeptical about it.  I cannot find ANYTHING on it except the info put out by the manufacturer.  30g of protein in one Tb of tasteless powder seems MUCH too good to be true...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.