Rushing

Amy R.
on 9/6/14 5:15 am, edited 9/6/14 5:19 am

I'm sorry if I am the one you think is talking down to you.  I notice you deleted your reply to my post - I wasnt' on OH yesterday so I never even read it.

Sometimes we need to be pulled up by the scruff of the neck to get our priorities in order.  Generally if someone takes the time to answer a post it's because we care.  I think I even mentioned that I/we want you to succeed.  What you were posting didn't look like a path to success to me.  I wasn't attempting to be mean or rude.  I will cop to being blunt - but only  because a little nudge can help sometimes.

Really, I wish you the best.  If I didn't, I wouldn't have taken the time to post.  Good luck.  You can do this.

edited to add:  I didn't get solid food until Week 9.  I totally understand feeling like you feel - especially when some postops come out of the hospital on soft foods.  But I really feel now like I got the better deal.  I don't have near the amount of troubles with specific foods as some; I can eat pretty much anything except white rice and white bread (which, lets face it, aren't good for me anyway). 

Also, I hated my shakes.  Here's how I got them down, maybe it will help you or someone else: I mixed that nasty protein powder with only enough COLD water to make it a liquid.  I'm literally talking about only 2 or 3 ounces.  Then I sucked it up and drank it like a "shot".  It was yucky - but it only took a couple of swallows to get it down that way.  Anywho, truly, good luck to you.  Every day of the liquid phase you get through is one day closer to being able to eat more solid things.  Hang in there.

nana2shaneandty
on 9/7/14 1:58 am

You can try adding the sugar free syrups might help

poet_kelly
on 9/5/14 12:09 pm - OH

Well, if you don't have time to go buy different types of shakes, I guess you're stuck with the ones you think are disgusting.  Let's see, post op I tried about 12 different ones before I found some I at least didn't hate.  But if you don't want to try other kinds, you don't have to.  But you do need protein.

As others have suggested, you can also call your surgeon's office and ask for advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

magoo1017
on 9/5/14 1:16 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Poet_kelly I am BROKE I can't AFFORD to run out and purchase 12 different kinds. So thanks for passing your judgement.

poet_kelly
on 9/5/14 1:24 pm - OH

I'm not passing judgement.  I'm telling you what I see as your options.  Get some other protein shakes to try or drink the ones you have.  Or develop health problems from not getting enough protein.  Your choice.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

magoo1017
on 9/5/14 2:25 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

And if you read all replys then you'd see that I've said I am still choking them down bc I have to until I'm able to get more. You can leave your judgement at the door or go post to someone else. Thanks.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/14 10:48 pm - OH

Actually, you can go to www.vitalady.com and order individual samples of DOZENS of brands and flavors of protein powders OR get samples from the various manufacturers websites.

BTW, Kelly is the last person here who would "pass judgment" on someone for not being able to try a bunch of different shakes (because we are ALL aware of how expensive the protein supplements are, and there are very few people who can afford to try a dozen different tubs..)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 1:19 am - OH

Absolutely.  As someone *****lies on a local food pantry for part of my groceries each month, I completely understand.  But samples aren't that expensive, and both GNC and Vitamin Shoppe will allow you to return a tub of protein powder if you try it and don't like it.  They also sell single serving bottles of quite a few ready to drink protein drinks.  For $20 you could buy 10 different ones.

poet_kelly
on 9/6/14 5:43 am - OH

You might find you can tolerate your shakes better if you try making them in different ways.   Try putting them in a blender with some ice.  Try adding a spoonful of instant decaf coffee crystals to a chocolate or vanilla shake for a different flavor.  Try drinking them from a cup with a lid so you can't smell them.  Try adding protein powder to no sugar added hot chocolate or hot decaf coffee instead of having a cold drink.

NYMom222
on 9/5/14 12:57 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That is a long time on Liquid. I would have felt the same way if my doctor required that. Just wanted to let you know there is website called bariatric pantry that I was able to order sample packs of the Syntrax nectars that people seem to like. I just got it in the mail. haven't tried it yet. I also ordered a sampler of RTD of "oh yeah" brand.  Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save