Body Image

Bulletjones
on 9/4/14 7:03 am

Surgery scheduling for end of September or beginning of October. Currently weigh 229, goal weigh 125 (Dr Graff agrees with my goal weigh). I am 46 years old, and have been told the older you are the more loose skin you could end up with. I have been informed I will have loose skin. I am not really interested in plastic surgery. But I am afraid of how much loose skin will I be dealing with. Any advice will be helpful. 

Eggface
on 9/4/14 9:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It really depends... how long you were overweight, elasticity, where you carry your weight, damaged skin/stretchmarks, ethnicity, genetics, and yep age. You know anytime you have 100+ pounds to lose you will have some excess skin (exercise can help some) but the degree and whether it will effect you (physically or emotionally) is really an unknown.

I didn't think I would want plastics... I thought who cares I'll just be happy to feel better but... the excess skin was an issue both physically and emotionally. I found a way to have some of it removed (medical tourism.) I'd save a little if you can each month (I know easier said then done) if you need or want it a few years from now you'll have a good start, if not a great rainy day fund.

I would still have had WLS... severe GERD, severe Sleep Apnea and High BP all resolved, off 8 medications = best gift I ever gave myself. 

Best wishes to you!! 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Bulletjones
on 9/4/14 11:21 pm

Thanks!!!!!

Luvmygs
on 9/5/14 6:29 am, edited 9/5/14 6:29 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Very well said Shelly! For me its about getting rid of the BP meds, sleep apnea and feeling healthy again too. I don't even worry about the excess skin.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/5/14 7:53 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I was about your starting weight and am 122 now. I had a full round of plastics - LBL, BL with implants, thigh lift. My arms were fine by some unknown miracle but the rest was one helluva shapeless mess. I am 50 and I have 3 kids. So that did some damage too before the weight came along. Sure I could have lived with it given the right spanx and the like, but if you have the possibility, the plastics really closed the circle for me and completed this part of the journey. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120