Lap band to Gastric Bypass Conversion? Help!

Bostongrl13
on 9/3/14 9:38 pm

Hello. I need some feedback please!  I had lap band surgery years ago that resulted in my weight dropping from 250 down to 170 and considered successful. Unfortunately I struggled with keeping food down and vomited often. A few years later, I was on vacation in California and had to have an emergency 7 hour surgery due to a band slippage. They replaced my band and now it's approximately 4 yrs later and it's possible my band has slipped again. I met with my doctor yesterday and am going in for a swallow test to know exactly what's happening. My weight is back at 249.5 and I struggle emotionally everyday. I workout at the gym 2 days a week and take yoga 2-3x a week. My doctor wants me to consider a conversion surgery to gastric bypass and to be honest I'm scared to make a choice. I'm afraid if I don't, then when the band is removed, I will gain even more weight. I'm scared about having another failed weight-loss surgery.  My husband is concerned and doesn't understand why the old fashion way of diet and exercise doesn't work for me. He truly wants just to see me happy and will support me in whatever I chose. Has anyone has a gastric bypass conversion?  What is your experience?  Pros/cons? I know people who have been very successful with it and I know others who gained all their weight back. I feel so overwhelmed and lost and I truly don't know what to do. 

Nic M
on 9/4/14 2:54 am

Take a gander at the Revisions forum here. Tons of people have revised from Lap Band (which is a horrible, damaging device for most of us) to other forms of WLS. 

It's surprising that doctors will replace a band after a slip because it is almost guaranteed to slip again. I had several "corrective" surgeries with the band and now have massive scar tissue (and the issues that accompany.) 

Do a lot of research before revising to the RnY (gastric bypass.) You'll want to research Vertical Sleeve and the Duodenal Switch, as well.

Good luck to you. I hope the band didn't cause too much damage and you'll be able to revise easily.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Bette B.
on 9/4/14 10:33 am

There are a lot of people who have had revisions from band to everything else. If you haven't already, check out the revisions forum.

As for your husband, he knows that the "old fashion" way doesn't work for you. It doesn't matter WHY.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

MsBatt
on 9/5/14 3:16 am

Since you lost well with your first Band, you should seriously consider getting a Sleeve rather than an RNY/gastric bypass. The long-term weight loss is about the same, and with a Sleeve you'd still have a fully-functional stomach and still be able to take NSAIDs.