SLEEP AID

anna R.
on 9/3/14 5:12 am

I suffer from fibro and oa along with some other issues, I have reached my goal. My question is has anyone out there used melatonin as a sleep aid? And if so what dose did you take? Due to the malabsorption I'm wondering how much I should take. I am on a number of drugs for pain and to help me sleep, but they don't do it all the time. It was suggested that I give this a try as it is an organic supplement. Thanks much! 

Anna

poet_kelly
on 9/3/14 5:36 am - OH

It is not organic.  The melatonin you can buy as a sleep aid or other supplement is synthetic, made in factories.  It's a synthetic version of a hormone that is naturally produced our body.  So it is not organic.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jeterway
on 9/3/14 5:49 am

I take melatonin to help me get to sleep.  I have lots of trouble winding down at the end of the night no matter how much I try.  So I drink a glass of milk and take 2 melatonin - that usually does it for me although I have still had some rough times falling asleep.  I believe I take 5 mg pills - don't have them with me at the moment.  But if I take them, I am usually out in about 15 minutes.

Cathy W.
on 9/3/14 5:55 am

While I don't have Fibro or OA, I struggle with insomnia and it is so frustrating.  I've taken 5 mg of Melatonin per night on/off for months. 

Debola
on 9/3/14 6:02 am

I tried melatonin, but it gave me horrible nightmares...

anna R.
on 9/4/14 2:07 am

Thanks for the clarification to the synthetic form of the drug. My error, good to know.  I have read that it can give you vivid dreams, not nightmares, but I'm sure each person is different. I had horrid nightmares with a prescription sleep aid, wish I could remember the name of it. After 3 nts I gave up, it was was horrible.

Thanks for all the input regarding your experiences with Melatonin. I am going to try it and start with 10mg. I did read an article that suggests taking it as early as an hour before bed, and if it isn't enough another at bedtime. I don't think I need to go that far, especially when I don't know how my body will respond.  I will follow up after a week or so and let you know how I make out. Thanks again all! Anna

Anna

MickeyDee
on 9/4/14 1:35 pm

I'm an insomniac, too.  I find that an OTC Tylenol PM-type is helpful.  I use one pill and it'll give me about 4 hours of sleep.

Amy K.
on 9/4/14 2:40 am - Tucson, AZ

I buy dissolvable melatonin at CostCo and take it every night.  I don't have a hard time falling asleep, but for me its staying asleep.  I also have OA and sometimes if I'm having a painful day I'll take flexerill.  My doc advised me that taking flex and melatonin together is ok once in a great while, but not all the time.  If you cannot find the dissolvable you can crush them and take them with water or in applesauce or something. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Valerie G.
on 9/5/14 7:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I do fine with one 5mg pill.  One thing I noticed is that they work for about 5 hours of wonderful sleep.  After they wear off, it's all you, and it leaves you feeling refreshed and natural waking up instead of groggy.  Another suggestion is good ol' Benedryl - who's active ingredient is the main ingredient in other sleep aids.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Chilipepper
on 9/5/14 7:23 am

My sons pediatrician put him on Melatonin when he was in elementary school. He is 23 and still uses it. It's harmless but works great. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White