Still Diabetic

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/14 2:49 am - OH

The severity of the diabetes is an important factor in how long to takes to go into remission (and whether it DOES go into remission).

FWIW, the surgeons I work part time for (doing psych evals) insist that the part of the assessment where I talk with them about their expectations includes a discussion of the possible remission of diabetes (if they are diabetic) and emphasizes that it does not cure diabetes. Unfortunately, many surgeons don't make the distinction.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tracy D.
on 9/4/14 6:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Boy, do I get tired of telling people that WLS doesn't CURE diabetes .   Glad the surgeons you work for are making that distinction.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/14 6:57 am - OH

Yes, I frequently hear people say that they want RNY because it cures diabetes.

I guess when Dr Oz did a show on it, he mentioned that some doctors are recommending it to people who aren't overweight but are diabetic.  I don't know whether he used the actual word "cure" but that is what some people took away from the show.

Two of the three doctors are VERY insistent that people know what it is realistic to expect from each surgery and what is not. It was one do the reasons that I really wanted to work with them.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

paulasellers_61
on 9/4/14 12:55 pm

I do no****ch Dr. Oz, but have been told by many physicians over the past 13 year search that RNY resolves diabetes

MsBatt
on 9/5/14 3:08 am

About 85% of diabetics who get the RNY achieve total remission of symptoms, Better than 98% of diabetics who get the Duodenal Switch achieve total remission. The DS also has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.