Still Diabetic

paulasellers_61
on 9/3/14 4:13 am

I am one week post op by pass....one of the things I was looking the most forward to was I was told I would not be diabetic anymore.... :( while in the hospital my sugars were over 400 and now they are running 150-220 or so with insulin. Did anyone else have this happent to them, and does anyone have any idea what I can expect? Do you think I will still stay diabetic? I was just wanting a little feedback. I am disappointed. 

Cathy W.
on 9/3/14 5:30 am

It depends on how long you have been a Type 2 diabetic.  I was diabetic for a couple of years and two days after my surgery I was at normal sugars.  13 years later, my diabetes is still in remission.  

I wish the same for you!  Talk to your bariatric surgeon or PCP about your specific medical history and their opinion.

paulasellers_61
on 9/4/14 1:51 am

Thank you so much :)

White Dove
on 9/3/14 6:26 am - Warren, OH

The odds are in your favor, but it is about a 75% chance that it will go into remission.  The longer you have been Type 2 diabetic and the longer you have been on insulin the less chance that it will resolve. 

I was very disappointed and so was my primary care and my surgeon.  Weight loss and proper eating can help you to be healthier.  If the pancreas is no longer producing enough insulin on its own, then you may have to continue on medication.

I was Type 2 for 20 years and on insulin for 10 and I did not resolve.  I control with oral medicines now, but if I don't take those I would have very high sugars again.

This is not a hard and fast rule, and some people do get off of insulin a few months out.  So take care of yourself and hope for the best.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

paulasellers_61
on 9/4/14 1:55 am

Thank you so much for your input. I actually did just try to take a little glyburide and no insulin yesterday and my sugars have been good. I do not have prescription insurance and insulin is so expensive. I am still praying mine will resolve. 

Ruth S.
on 9/3/14 6:52 am - Orlando, FL

My question is - WHO told you that?? Was it a medical doctor??  If a medical doctor..you must be patient, you're already seeing results go down. Just like weight loss nothing happens overnight and you're only a week out.....

You're body is adjust to this surgery and MANY more changes will come in due time. Don't rush at a week out.

In addition to that depending on what type of Diabetic you are - this surgery does not cure all diseases.  There are skinny people who have diabetes, heart disease, etc the same as us who were formerly obese.  Sometimes things can get better but never resolved.  I'm not saying that is your case.....but you never know.

I had the surgery and 2 weeks later I was taking my meds thinking I still had too. I got really low and had to go to the ER and from there was told by a doctor not to take my meds...and I haven't taken anything for 10 years. Yay to me...however that's JUST ME...

Bottom line - give it time. Best of luck

Ruth S.
paulasellers_61
on 9/4/14 1:56 am

Thank you best wishes to you :)

Grim_Traveller
on 9/3/14 7:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As others mentioned, it depends on how long you were diabetic. One study I read described the pancreas like a battery that had about a 7 year charge. If you were diabetic longer than 7 years, odds are the battery is drained, and you will still be diabetic. Less than seven years, diabetes should go into remission.

This is not a hard and fast rule, of course. Sometimes it just takes a while for your body to stabilize after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

paulasellers_61
on 9/4/14 1:57 am

Thank you.

Heather B.
on 9/4/14 2:18 am - Wyandotte, MI

I was lucky and never developed diabetes  but, my sister was diabetic less than a year before having surgery and it took almost a year to completely stop medication. Now, she may be the exception but it did not seem there was a correlation between her time as a diabetic and its resolution. She was 400lbs as well and I would think your beginning weight may play a role.  So many that have surgery seem to be well under 300 ( I was 570 when I began this process) so, I have to wonder about the starting weight of those who came out the hospital in remission.  Surgery isn't magical so it may just take time. But, it seems there is already a big improvement so don't panic. Keep in mind, however, if you regain the diabetes will return as well.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14