GASTROPLASTY 9 YEARS AGO - GASTRIC BAND BREAK?

CHAPMAL
on 9/3/14 4:12 am

Hi there - I am very grateful that I have found this site as I have a quesiton that I need to know if anyone can help me with.  I am almost 10 years post op from a gastroplasty (think I was one of the last to get this type done as it was pretty much just before the gastric bypass became more popular.  I was sitting the other night and had a very very bad pain in my stomach where I would normally get pain if I overate or something got stuck - but the pain was way worse and I had not yet eaten.  It lasted for at least 4 hours.  It passed - thankfully - however since then - I am able to eat without any discomfort - which some might think was a good thing - however this band is how I have kept my weight off.  (90 pounds)  Has this happened to anyone or does anyone know what may have happened?  Is it even possible that the band broke?  I am quite upset about this whole thing and need help.  Many thanks

Bette B.
on 9/3/14 10:38 am

It could be any of a dozen things. You need to call your surgeon or PCP first thing in the morning.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Awillis
on 9/3/14 12:04 pm - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

Hi are you referring to the vertical band gastroplasty, that is not done much any more?  I had it kept weight off pretty well but the staple line began to rupture, I was too busy, too scared, too whatever and ended up putting on fifty lbs.  Maybe you are talking about the Silastic ring that was put in either way, go see your surgeon or even a new surgeon and they can do a endoscopy on you to see what has happened.  Never hesitate be proactive in your care, maybe it is nothing but always best to know.  I just went through a revision to RNY six days ago. Doing good so far, it was done lap, one  day and home the next.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/3/14 7:49 pm - UK

I know nothing whatsoever about your surgery. But IMO you need to call your doctor ASAP. People get slammed on here for giving that advice! But I really can't see any other sensible action.  Best wishes.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,