Protein???

km30381
on 9/4/14 1:19 pm

Can someone tell me why it is so important to have lots of protein after surgery?  It seems to be the common thread in all bariatric surgery's. 

poet_kelly
on 9/4/14 2:04 pm - OH

We need protein in order to have healthy muscles and our heart is a muscle and if it's not healthy, we might die.  Immediately after surgery, we need extra protein so we can heal.  When we're losing weight rapidly, we need plenty of protein so we lose fat, not muscle.  In addition, people that have RNY and DS don't absorb all the protein they eat, so they need to eat extra.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 9/5/14 6:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Being that the largest community out here is RNY, they (and the DSers like me) malabsorb a portion of the protein they consume.  In order to maintain muscle mass while losing as well as overall nutritional health, we must maximize our consumption with enough protein to sustain.  Many of us strive for 80-120g of protein per day.  Those with LapBand or VSG only need around 50-60g per day to keep healthy, but the recommendation is to maintain a high protein and low carb eating plan in any of these procedures.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes