Hair Loss and How to Strengthen Overall? (Pre-op)

Luvmygs
on 9/2/14 2:17 am
VSG on 12/04/14

In my health class I learned that our bodies need the adequate fat to prevent deficiencies. The key is to have the right fats like; olive oil, Peanut oil, Avocados, nuts and seeds especially walnuts and ground flaxseed and fish.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/2/14 2:34 am - OH

Have you looked into possible causes for your hair loss?  It isn't normal to lose so much hair pre-op (and it might get really scary when the post-op telogen effluvium kicks in post-op). Usually, if anything, we have very healthy hair when we are obese because we get so many vitamins and nutrients from the large amount of food we eat.

It is possible, though, that you have a current vitamin deficiency or a thyroid condition or something else causing it.  If it is a current vitamin deficiency you definitely want to get it remedied before your WLS.

I have never been able to find any medical evidence that Biotin does anything for hair loss.  If you a deficient, it may help, and some people believe that it encourages regrowth (although I did no find that to be the case), but mega doses can result in a permanent increase in facial hair in some people, so don't go crazy with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.