Questions for those who have had the sleeve

slhobbs81
on 8/30/14 1:03 am - Goldsboro, NC

Thanks for replying! If I knew I would have the same results as you, as far as pain is concerned, then I would definitely go for it. I think that I am going to try to find a surgeon, and go through the process to see if I qualify.  I calculated my BMI and I'm right at 39.27.

Michele H.
on 8/30/14 2:24 am - NJ

You may not like this after all of your hard work to lose weight....but....put a few pounds back on so your BMI is 40+ or wear heavy clothes or put a few rolls of quarters in your pockets for your initial weigh in with your surgeon.

Michele

BlondeGiraffe
on 8/30/14 4:17 am

My BMI was exactly like yours, in between 39 & 40, with zero comorbidities.  I have BCBS of IL and got approved without any trouble. You can call them and they will tell you the coverage and requirements before you even find a doctor.  My surgeon required that I call and get that info before they scheduled my first consult.  The only pain/discomfort I had was the from the gas immediately after surgery (I'm 2 weeks post op).  I spent two nights in the hospital (standard for my Doc's program) and was taking pills the second night.  GasX probably helps but I couldn't find the strips that everyone recommends and didn't think I'd be allowed to take pills otherwise I would've brought them with me for sure.  I found that by stretching and moving really moved the gas around and helped to relieve it quicker than it resolving itself.  I was surprised the incisions didn't hinder me from getting in and out of bed and were a non-issue.  By the time I was released I was on zero pain meds and felt good. I took Tylenol a couple of times just to get some added comfort and was sleeping on my side by the 3rd night home.

Congrats on your incredible weight loss!  I think you'll rock this surgery!

VSG Surgery 8/15/14 Height 5'4" HW 236  SW 227 CW 214

happyteacher
on 8/30/14 4:33 am

Hmmm.... wear heavy clothing at the consult :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Buldog
on 8/30/14 1:18 am

My sleeve surgery was about 17 months ago.  I had almost no pain. Just soreness that left me within a few days.  I jokingly asked the nurse if the Doc really did take anything out since I experience no pain.  I had friends who had the surgery say the worst part was the ride home in the car.  They suggested holding a pillow over your stomach.  I did take their advice and had no discomfort.

As for the insurance question, let the surgeon's office handle the paperwork and it will go through.  You may still be a risk in the future for weight related medical problems.  My insurance company really discouraged me from having the surgery when I called them. But the paperwork from the surgeon's office was approved within a day of submission.  Good luck.

Gwen M.
on 8/30/14 1:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Pain is SO subjective so this is hard to answer!  My 10 is probably drastically different than yours.  :)  

My worst pain is kidney stones and the pain from my VSG was a cakewalk compared to a kidney stone.  And you'll get pain meds, so that will help.  

No idea about qualifying - you'd need to ask your insurance company to find out.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)