Chicago WLS Clinic that will help with insurance?

VanishingCintura
on 8/28/14 7:34 pm - Chicago, IL

Hey everyone!

I was wondering for those of you who have had WLS in Chicago and surrounding areas, if you have experience with a good clinic that helped with the insurance process. I want to find a place where my 92816671352198291 questions will be answered and they'll help me jump through the insurance hoops :/ Anyone have any suggestions in regards to a clinic/hospital I should check out? 

Thanks in advance!

PrettyInPink87
on 8/28/14 10:31 pm

Unfortunately I'm not any help recommending a doc in Chicago, but I wanted to let you know you may want to just call your insurance company directly. I had about the same number of questions as you and didn't want to keep bothering my doctor's office so I just called my insurance company and they were very helpful. Make sure you ask to speak to someone that specializes in the bariatric program because they will likely be more help than just a general customer service rep. Good luck!

"Encourage your hopes and not your fears"

Pre-Op Month 2 of 6

Valerie G.
on 8/28/14 11:55 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's the thing putting that much trust in the surgeons staff:

There are no lists of "standard activities" that must be done for all patients.  Each policy (even with the same insurance co) is different.  They could make you do a 6 month diet that isn't even required (my surgeon's staff tried to make me do that), or even worse, they could "think" they have everything, but your insurance wanted another test, so they deny you and you're forced to go through the appeals process because they screwed up.  They like to think they know everything, but I assure you, they're not even close.

So....pull up your knickers and call your insurance company.  Ask them (a) Is wls a covered benefit, (b) what procedures are covered, and (c) what all needs to be accomplished before applying for pre-approval.  You can get their list started while you're waiting for an appt with the surgeon.   It's time to take care of things yourself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

White Dove
on 8/29/14 2:27 am - Warren, OH

My surgeon's staff "took care of everything" and answered all of my questions, but I was constantly checking with the insurance company and letting my surgeon's staff know when something was not answered correctly, was still needed or not done correctly.  This is a do-it-yourself project.  There are too many differences in plans and requirements to trust the surgeon's staff for that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poet_kelly
on 8/29/14 10:35 am - OH

I would think they'd all help with insurance and answer questions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.