Cramps, Gas, Burping .. Oh my!

ToTo_Too17
on 8/27/14 5:01 pm

Hello ! hoping to get some advice.. I'm 22 days post op from RNY - Did 14 days liquid nutrition before moving onto soft foods per my Dr. It's been going pretty good until yesterday. Horrible abdominal cramping, diarrhea, burping, barely ate today because I feel so lousy. My stomach is rumbling & growling so bad... Will call Dr tomorrow - had pain after hardly eating anything today .. Concerned about a blockage, intestines twisted, has anyone ever experienced this ? 

Im not getting in enough liquids the last few days that I do know- hopefully tomorrow is better. 

Wildogg2005
on 8/27/14 5:21 pm

Do your best to stay hydrated and see what the dr says good luck

rocky513
on 8/27/14 9:47 pm - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  I to started out fine and then I developed the same symptoms you describe. I had diarrhea and cramping for months before I figured out that I was lactose intolerant.  Make sure the protein you are taking is 99% lactose free.  If you are using protein powder, mix it with water, almond milk or soy milk.  I found that I can still eat cheese and yogurt but milk sends me straight to the bathroom.  If you had a blockage I doubt that you would be having diarrhea. The blockage prevents anything from moving through you.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Hislady
on 8/28/14 3:54 am - Vancouver, WA

Have you eaten much sugar free food? Often the sugar alcohols in those cause horrible stomach and intestinal pain and upset.

ToTo_Too17
on 8/28/14 3:58 am

I've eaten all sugar free, and no milk. I've had yougurt & cheese but that's about it - have never had a lactose issue before.   I may just go with all liquid nutrition today .. I just want to feel better.