Pre-OP Weight Gain on 800-960k per Day via Protein Shakes

Pogie
on 8/27/14 3:11 pm

My gastric bypass surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, September 3!  I have been on my pre-op protein shakes for 8 full days, exercising as recommended, drinking water, and I GAINED 2#!!  I am so discouraged; I am now afraid the surgery will not work for me.  Did any of you who have undergone weight-loss surgery experience weight gain prior to surgery even tho you "followed" all the requirements?

hipswishingvinegarball
on 8/28/14 2:43 am

I did, but knew I was metabolically challenged, and the preceding years I'd lived on fad diets and fasts all but guaranteed I'd hang onto every calorie I touched. 

If you're sure you are actually following with no absent minded lapses, it's all you can do. It may also be possible you are holding water from that time of the month or getting a cold. If that's the case, it will just pee out soon enough. Hang in there.

Pogie
on 8/28/14 5:27 am

Thank you for replying to my post! My metabolism is shot; too many years of losing/gaining and jumping from one diet to another. I am wondering how your surgery results are? The NP said surgery will trick my metabolism into working. I'm praying she's correct.

MsBatt
on 8/28/14 6:00 am

I too had a rotten metabolism, and like Hipswishing, I chose the DS because of that. (Well, that among other things.) The DS is the form of WLs that makes a dramatic, permanent change in how our metabolism works, and causes us to always and forever malabsorb a significant per centage of the calories we eat, especially calories from fat. I know you're in the home stretch for your RNY surgery, but if you haven't researched the Duodenal Switch, it's still not too late.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 9/13/14 5:47 pm

Sorry I never saw your question, as I don't seem to be getting notifications. 

As for my results, I am over 6 1/2 years out, and maintaining over 150 pounds lost, and have had complete resolution of all my co-morbs  (cholesterol, apnea, bp, insulin resistance, PCOS).

I take vitamins now, but threw all my medications away years ago. Best deal I ever made.