Just starting this process!

Cheshire54
on 8/27/14 10:21 am

I am 60 and just starting this process.  I just got approved for SX a few weeks ago and will start my classes on 9/10.  I would love to meet people on here who are in the same phase as I am.  I was told that I would have SX 45-60 days after final class on 10/15.  I am planning on the vertical sleeve.  My daughter had it done 1 yr ago yesterday and is doing amazingly well.  I am excited about this but also scared to death and not about the surgery.  I am scared about the lifestyle change.  I have no clue how to eat healthy but I suspect I will that in the classes.  Hopefully, that doesn't scare me out of it.  Does anyone else feel the way I do?

xoLisaMacxo
on 8/28/14 12:21 am

Congrats on your new voyage! I am just starting my 3rd week post op. I started my process on June 30 and had my surgery on Aug 13. I had a really easy process and only because of my schedule did I have to wait for surgery. I did 1 seminar class, one pre op class, and 1 post op class. I did most of my research on my own - online, through friends, and on youtube. Some of the info I found was a little contradictory to what my dr. has me doing. I was nervous at first too, and even now sometimes I second guess my decision, but right away the doubt is gone. It does take a bit to get use to, but as long as you have a good medical team supporting you, you will do great. I email my nurse practioner or am able to call the office if I have any questions. They also provide me with free nutrition counseling for life which is great. and with each stage of recovery I have a meeting to prepare me for the next phase, so im pretty confident in my ability to lead a healthy life. Don't be afraid to attend support groups. your peers can be a great tool for venting, advice, guidance and support. Don't be afraid about not knowing how to eat healthy. Its all a learning process. and don't be afraid of set backs. you will have minor bumps in the road along the way, but just pick up and move forward.  You will do great! Its never to late to start a new life!

MsBatt
on 8/28/14 6:23 am

Here's a tip---start journaling your food right now. For the next week, eat as you normally do, but write down every single bite that goes into your mouth. This will help you really see where your diet needs improvement.

With the Sleeve, you will most likely be able to tolerate anything and everything, so it will still be down to you to make good choices. All the Sleeve really does is limit how much you can eat at one sitting.

All forms of WLS require you to eat protein first, carbohydrates last. The goal is to fill up on dense proteins and good fats, thereby limiting the amount of carbs you can physically hold. In the beginning, this is pretty easy, and that's when you need to form new habits. Trust me, over time you will become able to eat more than you should, especially if you're eating too many carbs.