lap-band

KattattaK
on 8/26/14 2:31 am
On August 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. 

You're welcome GwenMo! My hope is that no one has to go through what I experienced with the lap band. 

Aleknicole1
on 8/26/14 3:54 pm - Cleburne , TX
Going thru very similar situation. I go get the fill that my insurance dors not cover so I come up with the 250.00 for the fill go home feeling really good and restricted for abouttwo weeks then it seems like it goes right back. Changed surgeons 500.00 dollars to do this and still having same issues and gaining weight back and now severe acid reflux. I take like three meds a day. All for reflux only to continue to have it badley. Very uncouncomfortable any help anyone.
KattattaK
on 8/26/14 4:10 pm
On August 26, 2014 at 10:54 PM Pacific Time, Aleknicole1 wrote:
Going thru very similar situation. I go get the fill that my insurance dors not cover so I come up with the 250.00 for the fill go home feeling really good and restricted for abouttwo weeks then it seems like it goes right back. Changed surgeons 500.00 dollars to do this and still having same issues and gaining weight back and now severe acid reflux. I take like three meds a day. All for reflux only to continue to have it badley. Very uncouncomfortable any help anyone.

Aleknicole1, so sorry to hear you are going through this. From what I have read on this site, some have found relief once they have had the band removed and/or have had a revision to the rny. Also, you may want to request an endoscopy to have your esophagus and/or band checked out. It's very possible that the device is causing irreparable damage and you wouldn't want that to go on much longer :( 

Jules78
on 8/25/14 11:56 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Your story was moving.  Thank you for sharing.  I literally get sick to my stomach every time I see a commercial on tv advertising the lapband.  I still can not believe this product has not been banned.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

KattattaK
on 8/26/14 2:44 am
On August 26, 2014 at 6:56 AM Pacific Time, Jules78 wrote:

Your story was moving.  Thank you for sharing.  I literally get sick to my stomach every time I see a commercial on tv advertising the lapband.  I still can not believe this product has not been banned.

Jules78, thanks to YOU and others who have taken the time to read my story (it isn't exactly short lol). For ME, the lap band was a mistake. I wish I would have done more research on ALL weight loss surgery options and perhaps even gotten a second opinion from a different weight loss surgeon. My current weight loss surgeon has recommended the sleeve for me, and although this surgery, as well as the others scare me, I will definitely be speaking to him about other options and what would be BEST for ME based on my health history/issues. 

Jules78
on 8/26/14 2:56 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

So glad that you are now taking the steps to reclaim your life.  I had the sleeve almost 4 months ago and it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

KattattaK
on 8/26/14 4:59 am
On August 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM Pacific Time, Jules78 wrote:

So glad that you are now taking the steps to reclaim your life.  I had the sleeve almost 4 months ago and it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 8/25/14 1:37 pm - OH

Hairloss can occur after any surgery.  It's called telogen effluvium.

I'd say that is the least of the things I'd be concerned about with the lap band, however.  I'd be concerned about the band slipping, which usually requires another surgery to remove or replace it, and about it causing permanent damage to the stomach or other organs, or about the many other things that cause most people to need it removed in less than eight years.  I'd be concerned about the low rate of weight loss, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BettieLou
on 8/26/14 12:08 am

I would really recommend that you take an hour and watch this video, which is one surgeon's introductory seminar to weight-loss treatments. I found it much more thorough and enlightening to the seminar I attended at my local bariatric center of excellence, as this doctor goes over all the different ways people can and do (and don't) lose weight, and what the realities of each of the major surgeries are, and the results - good, bad, and ugly. Keep researching even after watching this, to make your decision, but I recommend it as a great place to start to wrap your mind around the whole subject.

56sunShine14
on 8/26/14 1:35 am

Hi jamayra,

I had the band put in in 2007 and had it removed last month.  In the beginning, I told people how great it was but now I try to stear people away from it because of it's many issues.  Before you make a decision, please go onto the various boards here and check out ALL of the other WLS procedures, also check them out by searching online.  Surgeons are not only refusing to do the lap band now, they are steering patients away from them as well.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen