Got my surgery date!!!!

nbeatty
on 8/24/14 6:51 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

I got my date, which is October 3, 2014!  I am so excited and so nervous at the same time.  Trying not to listen to extended family members and friends who are terrified.  Any tips for how to talk to them about this?  They were fairly silent until I shared the date.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

mellabella115
on 8/24/14 9:59 am - North York, Canada

Congrats. .what hospital? 

nbeatty
on 8/25/14 1:04 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Humber River in Toronto.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

MandyLeigh
on 8/24/14 10:09 am

So happy for you! I cant wait to be standing in your shoes! :) I am still debating on how to talk to my family about it. I thought about not telling them at all, but I don't know if that's healthy. I think there comes a time where you have to get to a point where you say this is how it is, this is who I am and you either support me or you don't. Also don't forget that if they don't support you, doesn't mean they don't love you, they are just scared or have different beliefs. Don't let it make you feel like you are making the wrong decision. I am SO excited for you!! :)

-Mandy Leigh :)

nbeatty
on 8/25/14 1:09 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Thanks.  I actually had a nice text message yesterday from my sister-in-law saying that her and my brother support me 100%.  They understand others' hesitation as it seems drastic and there are those who cannot possibly put themselves in my shoes.  But she said she was sure I did all the research and wouldn't have made the decision if it wasn't the right thing for me.  I'm having gastric by-pass (RNY).

MelissaYoung
on 8/24/14 6:41 pm

Oh that's great! October 30 is no long! Between, what surgery are you going to undergo? Liposuction? Liposuction is a great way to remove the excess fat deposited at the abdominal portion. My elder sister has had liposuction 1 year before in a clinic in Toronto. Dr. Robert Backstein was her surgeon. My family was also terrified about surgery. But my sister took them to the clinic and they together had a talk with the surgeon about the surgery procedures.

They got convinced and agreed to the surgery. And the result of the surgery was just amazing and my parents was too happy with it! See, surgery is not at a big deal. Only thing is make sure that the surgeon you select has enough experience in performing surgeries. Also you can make your parents have a talk with the surgeon.

Karen M.
on 8/24/14 10:21 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Congratulations on getting your date!

Not sure if you are aware - we have an Ontario Canada forum here on OH - http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nbeatty
on 8/25/14 1:06 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Thanks.  That's where I wanted to post, but am fairly new to this site and couldn't find how to do it!  I see how now.

proudmustangdriver
on 8/25/14 6:23 am - Canada

nbeatty, don't worry too much about family. I, I am ashamed to say now, was one of those terrified family members a few months back when my Mom had a sleeve done in Mexico. I was looking for horror stories on these forums to scare her out of it because I was so terrified for her, it almost worked, but the great staff at her clinic talked her through her fears and she had it done in March with great success.

Looking back the fear was simply of the unknown. I would encourage you to have your surgeon or the clinics staff contact your family members to ease their concerns. Or heck, have them join on here and ask questions from unbiased people who have actually had it done. That's what finally made me come around to her surgery.

After seeing her progress to date I am so supportive and totally ashamed of my fear and desperation to convince her otherwise, I am sure your family will come around when they see your results too.

I am actually looking at having the procedure done myself now. So proud of my mom for having the courage to make this change for herself.

Member Services
on 8/25/14 7:18 am - Irvine, CA