When will I hit rock bottom?

failure_143
on 8/26/14 10:23 am

Had Roux-n-Y surgery in 2012.  Lost 110 lbs within 16 months.  Been gaining 5-10 lbs each year thereafter.  I am up 80 lbs.  Doing all of the wrong things with my diet, so I can't blame anyone but myself.  I no longer tell people that I have had the surgery due to embarrassment.  Today I had to have an iron transfusion, and I have tons of other malabsortion issues.  Been in therapy for 9 years to no avail.  Don't know what to do anymore.  Has anyone ever hit rock bottom?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/26/14 11:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you can get back on track.

100 extra calories a day is 10 pounds in a year. It's so easy to eat an extra 100 calories per day. It will be hard work, but you can turn this around.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/26/14 11:49 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

No, I haven't reached rock bottom, I figured that whenever I was down or at my lowest I remind myself that I can always go further down, even if I don't know how much lower I can go. All I can say is that you know how low you are & you know how far up you can go cuz you've already been there. I'm only 4 months out so I can't give much advice. You should go to the back on track forum, there are others who have been where you're at & might be able to help you get the weight back off. Get back to the basics, you can do this! Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Ladytazz
on 8/26/14 12:18 pm

I wish I had words of wisdom for you but I can tell you I understand the pain of regaining after WLS.  I lost 120 lbs after my first WLS in 2002 and by 2010 I had regained 100 of it.

I was embarrassed and humiliated.  I had placed all my hopes on WLS curing me of the obesity that plagued me since I was 12.  I heard of others who kept the weight off for years and I was sure that would be me but it wasn't.

I begged my surgeon for a revision because I was so sick and I had so many problems from the surgery and no benefits at all.  He said he couldn't reverse it but he could make it so I didn't malabsorb so much.

He also gave me a RNY pouch (I had a large sleeve) and warned me that I probably wouldn't lose any weight.  I don't know if he said that because I had failed so miserably with my first surgery but I honestly didn't care.  I just wanted to stop being sick.  I agreed to the pouch because I figured if I could regain 100 lbs with malabsorption I would really be screwed without it.

Since my revision over 4 years ago I have been given a reprieve with my eating addiction.  I decided that since I was getting a "do over" I would do everything this time that I didn't do last time.  I followed the post op plan to the letter and gave up sugar and gluten.  After a time I no longer crave those things as long as I don't try to have "just a little".  I was honest with myself and accepted that I couldn't do moderation when it came to certain foods but I could avoid them completely if I didn't have the physical craving.

We are all different and I don't know what it would take for you to hit bottom.  I don't know what it took for me to hit bottom other being so sick because of my dysfunctional eating.

I hope you keep coming around and talking to others.  Maybe it will help you reach your bottom sooner rather then later.  Other then that I have no other advice, just a lot of good wishes for you to find your way.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Aleknicole1
on 8/26/14 3:37 pm - Cleburne , TX
Help...I am same boat. I had band four years ago lost 100 but have already 50 of it back. Something I think that they do not really explain to you before the surgery is if you do not change what you eat you will have little or no success. I saved up the money to have this surgery thinking it would chage my life and save me and it did was teach me new ways to be creative it the meals I do make. Any suggestions?
MsBatt
on 8/27/14 3:07 am

I'm confused. You had WLS in 2012; it is now 2014---2 years later. You say it took your 16 months to lose 110 pounds, so...let's say you had surgery on 1/1/12. 16 months later would be 4/1/13, or a year and 4 months ago. So far, so good. But then you go on to say you've been gaining 5-10 pounds EACH YEAR THEREAFTER. At this rate, all you could possibly have regained is about 15 pounds. Where does the 80 pounds come in?

I'm thinking you've either mistyped your surgery date, or you've been regaining a LOT faster than you say, OR you're not really up 80 pounds. It would help to know which it is.

In any case, the first thing to do is look at your diet. You already sound like you know what you're doing wrong in your eating, but sine you mention malabsorption issues, what about your vitamins and supplements? Do you get extensive blood work done at least once a year? DO you follow your lab results yourself, or have you been just believing your doctors when they say "Everything's fine"?

WLS is a wonderful thing, but just like traditional 'diet and exercise', it only works as long as you follow the rules.