Regretting my decision

iloveravens
on 8/26/14 6:17 am
RNY on 08/13/14
iloveravens
on 8/26/14 6:19 am
RNY on 08/13/14

YESSSSS, I felt this way at exactly the same time, but it was almost overnight that I started to feel better.  Hang in there, don't worry about the protein just keep sipping water/crystal light and you'll be feeling better in no time!!  I'm only 2 weeks out, but that week has made a huge difference...HUGS

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

gram247
on 8/26/14 7:49 am

I felt the same way. I had to drink clear liquid protein 2 bottles a day, plus water. The water was ok in small sips, the torte in was another story. Drink a little, throw up a lot. 

When I went back ti the doc, he switched me to full liquids, and things began to improve quickly. I was gradually moved up to soft and than regular foods. 

I did not have very much pain, generally controlled with extra strength. Tylenol, or Vicodin.

the biggest issue I faced was loss of appetite. I still have this issue now after almost 3 years and 150 pound loss by diet and 30 pounds removed by plastic surgery. I now eat because I need to, not because I want to. It still fascinates me, this change in attitude towards food. My doctor said I am healthy , I have regular bloodwork to check my nutritional status .  

Good luck to you. Things will get better. The first couple of weeks are the worst. If you need to sleep through it , do it and let your body recover from surgery. 

BooBooKitKat
on 8/26/14 8:50 am
VSG on 08/21/14

Hi Its Carol....I had my sleeve done on 8/21/14......no its not fun....headaches.....diarrhea....yup and the clear liquids taste like dirty water....LOL.....this coming Saturday I start my soft liquid diet.....looking forward too it! yippie....pudding! what I focus on is the end result, and you can too! keep busy around the house go to a movie, rent a movie.....read a book......but keep yourself busy! I have planned my meals out for the holiday weekend because WLS will travel! I am not going to stay home! Remember the end result! Look at these fantastic photos of before and afters! Geez...........soon we will be posting pics together!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Carol

Valerie G.
on 8/26/14 10:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hydration works wonders, and it's your full-time job right now.  Your goal is 64oz in any way shape or form of fluids.  It's not something you need to work up to like protein - it's necessary right now, each and every day.   It doesn't have to be water.  Anything wet counts.  Try different flavors and even temperatures.  

I kept a big ol 64oz cup next to me and took it everywhere.  

• I took a sip before I did anything, and another sip after I did it.  
  • I took a sip when I though of it
  • I took a sip for every television commercial
  • I took a sip every time I heard a curse word
  • I took a sip every time my dog barked or my bird squawked
  • I took a sip every time the phone rang.

I made up drinking games!  After a couple of months, that giant cup was empty by lunchtime and I refilled it for the afternoon.  Find a way and make it so, or keep going back and forth to the emergency room for IV's.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Miss150
on 8/26/14 11:19 am

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

k9ophile
on 8/26/14 10:55 am

If all of us posted our post-op courses, there might not be another surgery.   My first 3 months were a living hell.  Nausea, vomiting, dry heaves, pain like never ever in my life, etc.  I'm happy to report that everything did indeed get better and I'm thrilled with my new life.  I've maintained a 180 pound loss and got rid of some of my weight induced problems.  I did an unbelievably happy dance when I no longer needed my CPAP and hypertension or cholesterol drugs.  And with all that weight gone, I actually COULD dance.

Also, when I first joined here and lurked for a while, anyone who complained about it being so horrible got blasted.  I found a few people who were nice and "friended' them.  I also attended my hospital's support group.

If you weren't a bit scared before surgery or feeling at least a little regret afterwards, I'd be worried.  Those are perfectly normal reactions.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

cookquint
on 8/26/14 2:11 pm

Hi Asheylara I’m sorry for how you are feeling now but I have very bad news for you this is going to to a long process and will turn worst in the long term. This is my history.  

My name is Maria Teresa Quintero I’m going to tell you what I’m going through as a result of the parascopy, gastro bi-pass or bariatric surgery (reduction of the stomach) that I had in 2003 with doctor De la CruzMuños.

I has my stomach surgery in September 2003 weighed 200 pounds, my high is 5'2 feet, I have difficult  to lose weight easily, within 4 weeks after the surgery I had dropped only 15 pounds and had hardly eaten anything. I was under liquid diet, gelatin and nothing more, after 15 days the surgeon put me in a soft diet purees, and beans, lentils, mush potatoes and soft stuff. 

Within 4 weeks I try to eat a fried egg and lettuce salad, I almost dying It stuck in my esophagus and couldn’t pass it (eat it); for 3 years I was eating and throwing up for no reason, could be rice, a Tostitos or chips at the end for anything, when I least expected and anywhere, anything could be stuck in my trough, I was like a anorexic and bulimic person but not wanting to be so. 

My husband was very disappointed with me, because he never wanted that I got the stomach surgery, because the complications that could have in the future and which at the time that I got my surgery, this procedure started becoming popular (bariatric surgery). But we “women” wants’ to look good and this prototype that the skinny girl looks more beautiful I did it (I still think the same way). 

For nearly 3 years I had in weighing 135 pounds, and clothes size 8, but almost always after I eat I had that to go to the bathroom to throwing up, after this episodes I try to hide my sickness but when I coming out of the bathroom trying to disguise what I had, only my husband realized what I was going thorough. 

After a while I have not had more throwing up problems, I was able to pass the food, but then started the suddenly low sugar and high sugar episodes, health problems of suddenly low and high blood pressure without apparent reason. And of course I gain weight now my weight is 180 pounds.

I went to the doctor many times and explained my case and blood tests only show than my average of insulin in the 3 last months is under (46). 
I am very frustrate because my body asking me for sugar to compensate the low sugar in my system, I was eating something sweet or bread and rice, for that I've gaining weight. 

Because an article of the Mayo Clinic I learned that is the contrary, I must not eat sweet or white carbohydrates because after 2 hours low my sugar more. Now I’m weighing 180 pounds. 

I have not found reports of suddenly variations in blood pressure as happened to me, I can go form 175 with 110 blood pressure to lower my pressure until 75 with 35 I was feeling like lifeless, my husband gave me a lot of coffee and still in the hospital my blood pressure was 80 to 40 as I already explain, I have not found reports of this blood pressure changes on the internet. 

I would like my case published on the internet to be know what people like me are going through and also to communicate with people like me with the same symptoms of the disease and can be able to exchange information. 
Plus if this is published and will help as information for another people thinking to have the gastro bi-pass or bariatric surgery, may know that the operation of the stomach is not a final solution and it brings you consequences who will risk your life, I've been in the hospital in emergency at least five times after my operation, I have to add from July 2013 to August 2014 I have to be taken to the hospital 3 more times, for dehydration and Dumping Syndrome  and the reason I have had to stay in the hospital , has always been by my blood pressure or my sugar, not for the reason that had gone to the hospital (pneumonia , asthma, broken arm) just other reasons that have nothing to do with sugar or blood pressure. 
Please publish my case so that other people read to take an important decision, which will have consequences for your lifetime and can bring consequences of life or death.

I found this information in the Internet I hope this will be helpful for someone 
From Mayo clinic web page   
NIPHS 
Mayo Clinic doctors have recognized and reported on a seemingly rare but serious complication following gastric bypass called non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) or post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia. After a person eats, this condition can result in very low blood sugar levels that lead to severe neurologic symptoms, including visual disturbances, confusion and (rarely) seizures. 
Mayo Clinic doctors have evaluated and treated several patients with NIPHS. When medical and diet therapies do not work, surgical removal of part of the pancreas has resulted in marked improvement of symptoms for most patients. If the symptoms described above occur, patients should notify their physician immediately. Until this condition is controlled, patients should avoid driving motorized vehicles or performing tasks that could affect the safety of those around them.

Actually you can find a lot of information in the Internet about short and long consequences of the Bariatric Surgery.

you can e-mail me to [email protected] if you need more information

HarvestMoon1974
on 8/26/14 11:45 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

The first couple of weeks were miserable. I just wanted to break down and cry. I remember walking around the grocery store, wondering what the hell I had done to myself, and feeling like my life was over. It really gets so much better. I have a very normal life now, and am maintaining a 190 lb loss. Give it a couple of weeks, and you'll be fine.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

xoLisaMacxo
on 8/27/14 3:01 am

Hiii!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I think we all do. I just went 2 weeks post op and my dr had me on 2 weeks of liquids. Jus****er and juice. No protein shakes. the last few days I was miserable. Not only was I stressed in my own life, but I was hungry to and didn't stop to get the liquid protein from the dr's office. My recommendation is get the liquid protein as it does help. I got it from the dr. office as a sample and it really worked. Yeah no one told me the post surgery depression. I did read where people have the second thoughts, but damn I was like WTF! Today I got to start on mushy and pureed and I have to say I feel a lot better. I never knew yogurt could bring me to tears  lol. It gets better. I mean Im just a newbie to this like you, but it does get easier. Jello and sugar free Italian ice did become my best friends because they added texture and variety. I know all plans are different and it can get rough and confusing, do this, eat this, not that, 2wks 1 wk, 3 wks. ughhhhhhhhhhh it can be a real headache just to figure out, but hang in there. It does get better