2014-Do any employers cover gastric bypass anymore???

Bulldogsrule
on 8/25/14 11:35 am - Lewisville, TX

Anyone know of any employers in DFW that still cover gastric bypass in 2014. It's pretty bad when you work for a healthcare company and they do not even care enough about you as a person to help you cover gastric bypass. However, that is the situation I am in. They actually have a Ryder/Exclusion written into the contract to make sure that I do not get covered. I am desperate. I actually was just offered another job recently, but this company, ALSO in the health field,  does NOT cover gastric bypass either. What is wrong with these companies??? I am to the point now where I want a list of employers who still cover it and find out if they have any openings for employment. I would give this employer my everything if they cared enough for me as their employee to cover this. It's so frustrating!!! Any help or ideas???

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/25/14 1:01 pm - OH

Unfortunately, as health care costs continue to rise, some employers are dropping coverage of "extras" in order to save money both on premium costs as well as on actual employee medical bills (long term medical expenses go down for people who lose large amounts of weight and keep it off, but they frequently have significantly higher medical costs short term because of complications, repeated lab tests, etc.).

I don't know about for 2014, but Lockheed Martin Aeronautics group in Ft Worth had a plan that covered it last year.  

Generally, the larger the employer, the greater likelihood that they will cover WLS and the smaller the employer, the less likely they are to cover things like that. So look for employment with a large company, if possible.  

I don't know how you actually find out whether a particular company's insurance covers WLS before you accept a position, though.  Asking to see their detailed medical policy coverage bulletin would be a huge red flag and might prevent you from being offered the job.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/14 9:49 pm, edited 8/25/14 9:49 pm

A lot of people choose self pay.  Out of country option is typically less expensive.  Saving, loans. 

With insurance being so high - most employers only pay portion of insurance and employee pay the rest.  Covering WLS for everyone would mean an additional $50-$100 per month for employees in my company, and that would make it very difficult for some employees to afford that.  Out of 40 people only 2- 3 people could qualify for WLS if they would even consider.(they are not, as far as know) ...so asking everyone else to pay extra premium so 1 person may want WLS is not really practical. I had my surgery 6 years ago. I was self pay. I used my savings and loans.  Even then i could not justify asking everyone to pay more for year or so so i can get the surgery. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/26/14 2:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Look at it this way: they probably don't cover WLS because adding that to the benefits would make EVERYBODY'S premiums go up, making healthcare more expensive for the entire company. In that way, they're looking out for everyone.

Your company and insurance don't hate you, they're not singling you out, they're not deliberately denying you life-saving treatment because they don't care. There are probably other expensive and important procedures that they don't cover either, like IVF or intensive therapy for things like autism. 

It's a juggling act for HR, and you're not the only one whose insurance excludes WLS. Deep breaths!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/26/14 3:06 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Yep, there are a lot of companies that exclude wls, it's either they're too small & can't afford it, or they don't want to increase the costs all their employees have to pay because someone might want it. I do think it's bad that employers don't want to cover it when they can & use their employees health costs as an excuse not to get it, that's like not wanting to pay for the more expensive plan coverage for cancer because it costs too much, so they'll pay for the cheapest amt of care you can get, just in case you get it.

Face it not all diseases will get covered to the extent that we think it should be covered. That's part of the reason why I got wls. I knew I couldn't pay for it out of pocket.,not without taking out loans, employers can change their mind at anytime as to what they'll cover & what they won't, it's not personal, it's business. If you can, buy your own insurance that covers wls, that way no matter what job you get you'll be covered. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Jules78
on 8/26/14 3:52 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

HP Enterprise Services covers it.  There are several in Texas, not sure about your specific area though.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

CGCL
on 8/26/14 3:57 am
RNY on 02/19/15

Chase covers 80% if you go UHC with them.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

hl1524
on 8/26/14 11:38 am - Austin, TX

Fiserv covers it.