Feeling Down Need Help

Kay01
on 8/24/14 6:14 am

Hi, I'm new to the site. I had my gastric bypass surgery on August 11th. I go back to work tomorrow and I start a new job on September 2nd. The biggest problem I am experiencing is my energy levels. I feel completely wiped out. Today has been really hard. I don't feel like doing anything. I'm wondering how long before my energy level increases. I'm starting to feel depressed and I need help figuring this out. 

happycats
on 8/24/14 7:26 am
RNY on 01/15/14

For me it took a good six weeks to not feel exhausted all the time. It was about three months until I felt like I had a normal amount of energy. I did go back to work eleven days after my surgery and I was able to handle it ok, but as soon as I got home I would lay down for a couple weeks.  Since about four or five months out though, I have felt wonderful, with much more energy than I've had in years!  Just hang in there, you just had major surgery.  It takes some time, but it is so worth it!  

Kay01
on 8/24/14 7:57 am

Thank you for responding. I'm nervous about starting my new job. I just want to be capable and able. 

jazzycatz
on 8/24/14 7:41 am - Joppa, MD

You need to give yourself a break here. By gastric bypass I am going to assume you mean RNY. You are just 2 weeks out of major surgery. Your body is still trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it again. That takes a lot of energy. Healing takes a lot of energy.

Depression is not uncommon. Are you seeing a therapist? It can be really helpful.

It's going to be another good week before you start feeling more energetic. It's going to take some time. Make sure you are getting your fluids in first and foremost. Then your protein.

You got this.

Kay01
on 8/24/14 7:58 am

Thank you for your response. I never thought to see a therapist. For some reason I thought I would bounce back but recovery has been harder than I thought. 

WhydidIwait
on 8/24/14 7:55 am
RNY on 06/05/14

At four weeks I finally started to have more energy.  Hang in there!

Rumar57
on 8/24/14 11:45 am

Hi Kay, I had the gastric bypass same as you in Aug 11, and I know how you feel but remember that things are going to get better, is ok to feel down and without energy we just went through a life changing experience and it takes time to adapt, working will make you feel better, just take it step by step , the hardest part is over, concentrate in taking your protein shakes and lots of water, remember we almost in stage 3 diet, yeeeeeeaaah !!!!!!!!!!!! How many pounds you lost so far?????? Well any ways,hang in there and will feel better soon.

God Bless

Rumar57

Amy K.
on 8/24/14 12:27 pm - Tucson, AZ

I'm 8 weeks post-op and finally starting to feel like my energy is coming back. Found out Friday my BP has been too low so my PCM adjusted my dosage. Really hoping that helps. 

Hang in there- it will return. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

cspotrun
on 8/24/14 1:08 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Hi there.  I went back to work after 3 weeks and I found it really hard!  I actually closed the door to my office each afternoon for 20 minutes to lie down for the first week.  At 4 weeks, I really turned a corner and had much more energy.  Now at 7 weeks, I am feeling really good.  I would say 90% in terms of energy level, and getting better all the time.  Work is no problem at all.  It was hard to imagine at 2-3 weeks post op when I literally just wanted to lie down all day, that it could improve so much.  Today I had nothing on my schedule but I spent the entire day cleaning out closets and even my attic.  All by choice.  Just a few weeks ago, today would have been spent resting.  Also, I felt pretty depressed for the first few weeks too.  My doctor mentioned that my hormones got completely disrupted and all out of whack after this surgery, but they will settle down.  It explains the mood issues.  Hang in there, it's only going to her better, and rather quickly.  

Karen   

Valerie G.
on 8/25/14 12:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Well of course you feel wiped out.  Even though some people treat it as if it's as easy as getting a cavity filled, RNY is a major surgery, and it takes time to heal.  I was down a good 5-6 weeks, myself, before I started feeling like myself again.  If you MUST work, then make it known when you're home that you're still recovering, and you need to plant your butt down and rest.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes