Really? REALLY IS it about weight?

Irisher
on 8/23/14 2:41 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 12/27/12

"Cries for help with weight loss" does not equal "the need to feel attractive." I sought help with weight loss to resolve my blood sugar issues, lower my blood pressure, improve my kidney function, reduce my cholesterol levels, eliminate my sleep apnea, increase my ability to be active, and increase the quality of my life. Losing the weight is the sole reason I've accomplished all of these things. The fact that I think I look fabulous is icing.

I also don't think of my 'fat years' as having been wasted in purgatory. I didn't just sit on my arse eating bonbons. I built a strong, loving relationship with my husband, birthed/adopted and raised my children, established my career, and remained involved in my church and community. I have lots to offer, but here on OH, I'm here to offer support and encouragement for weight loss.

Bette B.
on 8/23/14 3:22 am

For ME, it really was all about weight loss, specifically WLS, because my weight was so out of control that I had life-threatening issues. It was never about being skinny, thin or beautiful which, frankly, I still never feel. I just wanted to lose weight to sttay alive.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

BettieLou
on 8/23/14 3:27 am

Yes. It really is about weight.

I'm sure you have plenty to offer, but on a site called OBESITY HELP, people are looking for help on obesity. And obesity is an excess of weight. It really is that simple.

KathyC--Kat-in-a-hat
on 8/23/14 4:21 am

My "wasted" years were about being in pain, developing diabetes and high blood pressure and being agoraphobic. Sure my appearance is important to me, but my health is way more important. I sure didn't sign up here to talk about playing video games, I leave that to the video game forums.  Likewise, I would focus on weight loss at a website...ya know...founded on weight loss and help to obese people.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/23/14 9:28 am - OH

I think YOU are the one who equates weight loss with a "need to feel attractive after all these wasted yearz {sic} in purgatory".  For MANY of us, our health was in serious jeopardy and we were physically miserable just trying to accomplish daily tasks... And losing weight was about remedying those things.  

Not everyone is as focused on how we look post-op as you are.  Some of us actually find that our faces look much older and much less healthy and attractive after losing the weight.

I am not sure exactly what you feel we have "suffered and learned" and should be sharing with each other.  Can you be more specific?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 8/25/14 6:14 am

Oh, Lora, don't encourage her!!!

Packers64
on 8/23/14 9:39 am - OH

I suppose some people's main concern is to "look attractive"........but I suspect the vast majority of people have other reasons for weight loss.....health being the main reason. 

Oliviawashere
on 8/23/14 10:20 am
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/14 10:25 am

15 lbs ago my face had less wrinkles, my boobs were bigger and fuller, my butt was rounded, but my back did not like it.  It hurt... So i lost 15 lbs. 5-8 more to go...not to look better but to get the weight of my back and hips.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/14 10:33 am, edited 8/23/14 10:49 am

Let me take a stab at explaining what I see.  My TV breaks down and  I act illogically - I can't find my phone to call tech services ... I am unmanageable .    Nothing to do with weight per se but its related .. i know . I have a headache nearly all the time . I can't remember sh..T  and am so embarassed by it ( imagine attending a political fund raiser  and never remembering yur  donrs names ..or their wives or childrens )  I every day every hour  HATE  the disgusting fat squishy  tire around my belly .

I don't LOOK  nearly my real age but I FEEL like Dorian Gray ...can U relate ?