Having bad emotional problems.

duckiekait
on 8/23/14 7:28 pm

I feel terrible. I started the pureed protein phase of my diet a dew days ago. It is hard for me to eat it. I have a big thing about the textures of foods and pureed food just turns my stomach. The smell of food turns my stomach. I tried to drink a protein shake to help raise my protein intake and I could only drink a few sips. The only thing that doesn't make me sick is water. I have lost almost 20 pounds in about a month.

I kind of regret getting my surgery. I had the gastric sleeve done. I knew it would be hard, but I didn't expect this. I hate myself and I don't know how I will get through the next 3 weeks. Has anybody else felt like this? I was able to keep down some well chewed steak and turkey sausage yesterday but today when I tried to eat a little more steak, I threw it up almost immediately. 

I need advice for the pureed part, anything I can do to make it taste better or seem more appealing? Any advice helps. Did any of you go through the hating and regretting it phase. What helped you? Thank you in advance. Maybe reading some of your stories and knowing I'm not alone in my feelings will help.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/23/14 8:51 pm - UK

I'm not sleeved so it may be different for me in terms of what is officially allowed! But i hate protein shakes and am not keen on pureed stuff. My way round it was to make my own home made, protien enhanced soup, just got thicker and thicker as the stages progressed.

A basic soup (I made my own but ready-made quality soup would be fine), added in a can of chick peas or lentils for protein, blended. At the early stages, I had to add lots of liquid, later on it hardly needed any

Somehow a very thick soup tasted nicer than pureed food- although really the same!

We have different foods here in the UK but if by steak you mean what I would call steak, it sounds way too ambitious at your stage! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 8/23/14 10:44 pm - OH

I didn't actually puree anything.  I ate stuff that is normally that texture/consistency.  Like Greek yogurt, refried beans, ricotta cheese (with marinara sauce on it), unsweetened applesauce, stuff like that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 8/23/14 11:59 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Chewed steak does not equal puree'd, I'm afraid.  If you're going to go this route, choose the tenderest cut of steak you can, like prime rib or filet mignon, rare to med-rare, or go the opposite route to a slow-cooked pot roast or beef stew.  Your guage of tenderness is that it can be smooshed with a fork.  You don't have to smoo**** before you eat it, but you know it will be best received when you eat it if it's tender enough.

True pureed foods don't have to be baby-food stuff.  Try egg custard (make it sugar-free, super easy), ricotta cheese (top with tomato sauce and cheese to taste like stuffed shells), quiche, etc.  I found that much more appealing and very easy to eat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MegZorar
on 8/24/14 12:26 am

Try seafood, if you like it--shrimp is soft. Had sashmi this week (sushi-grade fish without rice) and it worked really well.

duckiekait
on 8/24/14 7:07 am

I don't eat anything that comes out of the water. That would be a good idea otherwise.

Mary Gee
on 8/24/14 12:44 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Right now you're at the most difficult stage.  Gagging on protein shakes, being turned off by the thought of food, and wanting "real food" all at the same time.  Have you checked out Eggface's blog?  She has a whole section of pureed food recipes.  Most everyone raves about her Ricotta Bake.  Hopefully, you'll find some good recipes.

Hang tough.  It does get easier.....but there definitely is a "learning curve" no matter how well prepared we think we are.  By next month you'll be settled in and you'll be happy you had the surgery.  Really!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

AngryViking
on 8/24/14 11:55 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Yes to allll of this.  I thought I was prepared but having to essentially re-learn everything about drinking and eating was much harder than I had anticipated.  I'm about 5 and half weeeks out right and and am just starting to emerge from the weeds.  To the OP, hang in there because it does get better.  And def. check out Eggface's blog. 

Gwen M.
on 8/24/14 2:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Seeing a therapist weekly has helped me immensely.  I'm so glad that I found one pre-op that I clicked with and have made my appointment with her another part of my post-op life.  I can vent my spleen to her and she gives me ways to look at things that I'm not always good about finding myself.  I highly recommend finding a therapist!  

I also just worked really hard at un******g my lifestyle.  I've been gradually adding more exercise to my life and that just makes me realize how awesome and amazing this new life I have is.  I'm capable of so many wonderful things that I wasn't capable of a few short months ago.  It's glorious :D  

As for pureed foods, here's a list of the things I made and ate during the pureed phase of my diet -- http://myvsg.livejournal.com/37151.html

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

duckiekait
on 8/24/14 7:10 am

I see a therapist about every month. I haven't seen him since surgery though. Also thanks for the list!