My Lapband to VSG May Be Cancelled Due to Cardiac Stents

Chelley0285
on 8/23/14 4:36 pm, edited 8/23/14 4:47 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

I had 2 medication coated cardiac stents placed in March 2014. I've spent the last four months working with a bariatric surgeon to have a lapband to VSG revision. The surgeon is great, but his patient coordinator is either overworked or a ditz. Last month she called to tell me I couldn't have surgery unless I paid for the lapband to be removed b/c testing was inconclusive to prove medical need for removal. I reminded her I wasn't finished with testing, that I had a EGD scheduled that week. She told me it would be up to me to have the procedure done, but as things stood I'd have to pay that part out of pocket. I cried. As it turned out, the lapband has caused permanent damage to my stomach and the gastroenterologist recommended that it be removed and approved the sleeve based on 5 different abnormal findings. It took two weeks for her to call me back to tell me my surgery was back on for 9/2/14. Last Tuesday, I had my 3rd and final pre-op appointment at the bariatric office and was told to start my 14 day liquid diet of protein shakes that day. This is a 500-800 calorie diet with high protein and low carbohydrates that is clear liquids other than the protein shakes. I'm diabetic, so this diet is not just a simple restriction for me. As my blood sugar drifts downward I'm having to make frequent adjustments to the 5 insulin shots I take a day. This past Friday, on Day 4 of the pre-op diet, I got a call that the patient coordinator had faxed my Cardiologist a form asking if the Effient I take to keep platelets from sticking to my cardiac stents could be suspended for surgery. The answer was no, that the medication could not be held until my stents were a year old. The surgeon's office closed at noon and the surgeon had left early for the day and the patient coordinator said he would not be back in until Tuesday at which time it would be up to him to decide if he would proceed with surgery. So, I'm continuing on my liquid diet with a heavy heart, worried that Tuesday my surgery will be cancelled. At that time I will have been on this diet for 7 days, juggling insulin doses.  Why would they do this to someone? Why wasn't all that nailed down prior to scheduling a surgery and having a diabetic patient start a liquid diet? I am so frustrated, mad, and discouraged. Has anyone had WLS with cardiac stents and if so did they hold your medication or were you able to take it and have surgery? I do understand the bleeding risk; however everything is cauterized with a VSG. I was told I'd start Lovenox injections the morning of the surgery and they have ordered a home delivery for continued injections post op. What would you do if you were me?

Valerie G.
on 8/24/14 12:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Why aren't your surgeon and cardiologist talking?  Seriously - get them on the phone tomorrow to get this all figured out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

56sunShine14
on 8/24/14 2:19 am

I have to agree with Valerie here, why aren't they working together on this?  You are the patient yet they have left you to make very important decisions.  Personally, and if I were you, I weould seek someone else to do my surgery but that is not living in the real world and I do understand your issues.

I'd be raising some hell tomorrow with someone!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Chelley0285
on 8/24/14 4:54 am
Revision on 12/16/14

The surgeon won't be in until Tuesday afternoon. He does surgeries in the am and will not be bothered with such between surgeries. I suppose he thinks he has a efficient staff to take care of all this for him, so he can take care of patients and doing the surgeries and the followups. Believe me, when I get a face to face with him, I'm going to tell him what this experience has been like from my side.