fecal incontinence post weight loss surgery (rny)

robynann
on 8/23/14 3:37 pm - la puente, CA

would greatly appreciate speaking to anyone struggling with this condition

ROBYNANN

huskergalWsD
on 8/24/14 12:11 am

I've had this happen at times when I eat only certain foods post op. Pineapple is one.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Valerie G.
on 8/24/14 12:11 am, edited 8/24/14 12:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've not suffered this in a chronic matter, but I've had a couple of near misses years ago enough to take note.  Many people *****alize such occurrences are a result of something they've eaten.  Even though you're a few years out from your RNY, intolerances can rear their ugly head.

• Dairy is a common one - and may only be a couple of items, like straight milk (that's mine), when cheese and yogurt pose no problems.
  • Some veggies like onions or leeks can have me up and down running to the toilet all night - which is a shame because I love French Onion Soup. 

Another thing to look into is a bacterial imbalance or infection.  Those of us with RNY or DS are subject to the flora in our bowels (good and bad bacteria) to get imbalanced.  If it gets to the point of infection (c-diff), it can take a few different rounds of antibiotics to get it under control.  Note that this can be highly contagious, so do your laundry separate from your family.  Your doc can test you for c-diff.  Even if the result is negative for infection and its simply imbalanced, you can request a round of Flagyl to wipe out everything and start repopulating with probiotics.  You may be able to regain control on your own with some strong probiotics.   You can get them at the drug store.  Once you know how your body feels when this is happening, you know when to give yourself the one-two punch.  I can't explain it, but I just "know", from certain unexplained bloating/gas when I've gone too long without any yogurt..  I chug down a bottle of kefir during the day and make sure I'm getting my daily yogurt.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ladytazz
on 8/24/14 2:23 pm

It would help to know a little more.  Is this often?  Do you have issues with diarrhea.  After certain foods?

I had that problem with my chronic bacterial overgrowth in my intestines.  My first WLS was done in a way that must have caused it to be trapped, maybe in a blind limb.  I did some reading about it and that was the best I could figure out.

My revision was in part to address this and it was completely resolved.  To keep thing good I take probiotics and cultured foods to keep things from getting out of hand again.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.