The wrong surgery was done

Valerie G.
on 8/21/14 6:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It could be their inner-office terminology, as incorrect as it is.  The description leads me to believe you got a DS as well

My surgeon, for example, calls it a BPD, which was horror to my ears.  I made absolutely positively sure I was getting a BPD-DS and not the old Scarpinaro BPD.  She reassured me it was, and it is, but those nicknames can be a problem.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 8/21/14 6:27 am

Hold your horses! The DS, while not a gastric bypass, most definitely a malabsorptive bypass, meaning that most of the small intestine is bypassed. The DS ALWAYS has a Sleeved stomach (anything else is NOT a DS) and very long intestinal bypass (the 'Switch'.)

Your surgical notes that you posted below are largely incomprehensible, but if they say what I think they say, you did indeed get a DS.

Can you actually scan your notes, or copy them here word for word?

LittleMikey64
on 8/21/14 4:05 am
RNY on 08/06/14

During my conversations with my surgeon, he told me that if the RnY was not a fully viable option ****urs when the small intestine cannot readily be attached to the pouch), the fall back is a VSG.  However, we discussed this up front.  Just a possible explanation if indeed they did not perform the desired RnY.

Regards,

Mike

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.  Saint Francis of Assisi

A. Kondrlik
on 8/21/14 6:52 am
VSG on 01/24/13

As previously stated first get hold of your surgical report and consents.  Medical terminology and documentation can be hard to decipher. Sometimes the same procedure can be called several different things. I was originally planning for  a VSG and was told that if my liver didn't "shrink" enough with my preop  diet that the surgeon would do the sleeve. If you know a medical person have them look and the consents and op report to see what was really done.  Also get a copy of the Xray report that shows you had a sleeve, (a partial gastrectomy), I don't know if a regular xray would even show that (but I could be wrong about that!)

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

inluvwithsleevie
on 8/21/14 6:58 am
VSG on 03/08/12

Oh yeah you need to find out about all the paperwork from the surgery before you know for sure whether you have a VSG or RNY. Also, I agree with some of the posters to find out about the consent form you signed which allows a second option such as a VSG if an RNY cannot be performed. I have read about several patients who expected an RNY but woke up with a VSG due to adhesions or complications. However, they were TOLD after waking they received a VSG. IF you did indeed receive a VSG and were not given notice of it, there is indeed something very wrong here.

cindy29911
on 8/24/14 9:37 am - baltimore, MD

It seems that because of someone else's post; responses to mine were somehow either lost or re-routed to the other.  If someone has anything they can add to the original post; please let me know.  I have Lupus, and I'm having a loopy day.   My doctor did say that he received paperwork that said my follow-up was for the gastric by-pass: so there was no mis-understanding that I did not sign for, nor was I aware that I underwent a sleeve procedure. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/14 9:49 am - OH

Your surgeon's paperwork on your follow up appointment might be incorrect (it happens all the time... I know someone whose paperwork indicated they removed the gallbladder but the surgical report -- and later ultrasound -- shows that was not the case).  

What you really NEED, and the only evidence of what you signed for, is the surgical consent.  Get a copy of that -- and the operative report -- ASAP.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.