The wrong surgery was done

cindy29911
on 8/24/14 9:45 am - baltimore, MD

There's nothing for me to do now...

Valerie G.
on 8/21/14 2:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Be it sleeve or RNY, weight loss usually slows / stops between years 1 and 2...at the very least requiring a lot more work to continue losing.  Before jumping the gun and get attorneys swirling, there are a few more inquiries you can do:

• Definitely call the surgeon's office.  Don't be on the offense.  Your call is simply fact-finding.  Keep them at ease to be cooperative.
  • Was the person *****ad the xray a wls expert?  The pouch may have stretched over time to resemble the shape of a sleeve.
  • Did they see any sign of bypass?  Did they look for any sign?
  • Do you have a copy of the surgical notes?  This is documentation on what was actually done, rather than what was approved to be done.  If not, ask for them from your surgeon.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 8/21/14 3:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Please don't trust what you think you saw on the x-ray.   What's going to be important is getting all your medical records and carefully reading the post-operative note that the surgeon made.   That will clearly indicate which surgery was performed and the rationale for it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

jastypes
on 8/21/14 3:30 am - Croydon, PA

First of all, that's crazy!!!  I work for attorneys, but I am not one.  In PA the statute of limitations for medical malpractice is 7 years.  You can check what it is in your state.  While it sounds like malpractice to me on the surface, what are your damages?  The sleeve has not caused any complications that you mention.  The weight loss for sleeve/rny are comparable, I believe.  That said, I do think the surgeon/hospital should be responsible to revise to the surgery you requested, was authorized and you believed you received!  Is that what you want?  Getting them to see that, though, may require legal intervention. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

TexasLady52
on 8/21/14 3:47 am
Revision on 06/10/14

Just found out today that a different surgery was done than what I was told!!  I am just numb and don't know what to feel.....it is shocking and disappointing.  I was told from day one that I was having a revision combination of sleeve and DS.  He wanted to do a DS because the weight loss is higher and the likely hood of gaining it back is lower.  I find out today that I had a Malabsorption Bypass......never was this mentioned to me.  I asked WHY???  Since June 10.... I have been following the guideline for a DS!!!!!  All my research was for a DS and I felt I had myself fully prepared for the DS.....just like you I felt like something just was not right.....so I called today and asked what kind of surgery did I have and that was when I was informed......I am so upset!!!  The doctor that saw me was not the doctor that did the surgery!!  I met her for about five minutes before I went into surgery and about five minutes the next day....haven't seen her since!!!  I am at a total loss!!!!

Tracy D.
on 8/21/14 4:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Ummmm, the DS is actually a malabsorptive bypass procedure too.  It's a bit different than the RNY in that a major portion of the stomach is actually removed not just stapled off and left hanging.  And I think the intestinal re-routing technique is a bit different too.  

Were you told you got a RNY rather than a DS?  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

TexasLady52
on 8/21/14 5:50 am
Revision on 06/10/14

When I called I was told I had a Malabsorption Bypass??  I asked why and was told they would have to get back with me??? 

Hope you can understand this.....From what I can tell from the surgical notes I obtained.....a good portion of my stomach was cut away to correct the prior surgery in 1980...States I fired across the small bowel and mesentary with 2 firings of the white load stapling device..  I made another, I firec across the small bowel with 2 firings of the white load stapling. The patient had a faily long vertical banded pouch??? now that my remnant stomach was now finall freed frommy gastric pouch, I was now able to more freely dissect out the posterior aspect of this gatric pouch.  I then took another firing of of the white load stapling.  I fired it across the mesentery going to the lesser curvature and then firingof the green load.  Because the patient had an originallarge pouch, I was able to create a gastrotomy in this gastric pouch.I took a firing of the green load stapling device, reinforced with Peri-strips into the abdominal cavity, create my new lateral staple line???

eringudge
on 8/21/14 5:58 am
RNY on 07/28/14

That sounds like a DS to me. It might be an RNY, but you need to talk to your actual surgeon.

Tracy D.
on 8/21/14 6:13 am, edited 8/21/14 6:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Absolutely sounds like a DS to me.   A duodenal switch is a malabsorptive bypass, so they used the correct terminology.  It's just that there's more than one kind of malabsorptive bypass surgery.  I hope that makes sense!   

TexasLady52
on 8/21/14 8:01 am
Revision on 06/10/14

All of you are probably right!  I think I might have jumped the gun!  I called another surgeon in town and was told they were one in the same....