Roux-en-Y or Gastric sleeve?

Abelote
on 8/20/14 1:12 pm

Hello, my name is April. I had my first consult with Dr. Verseman today. I'm most excited. I'm debating on the roux-en-Y or the gastric sleeve. I would love to hear how successful people are with these to help me make my choice. 

Member Services
on 8/21/14 1:31 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Abelote,

Welcome to OH and the beginning of your journey!  As you can imagine this has been asked a lot   We did a search and here is a link to several threads discussing your question.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=RNY+vs +vsg&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

Again, Congratulations!

Valerie G.
on 8/21/14 2:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you go up to the Forums menu on the blue bar at the top of the window, you can pull up forums dedicated to each procedure.  In there, you can see what everyones complaining about, applauding and asking about.  You also have a captive audience of people "in the know" on that subject.

As to which will work better for you - you must look at your own weight and diet history.  The sleeve is restriction-only, while the RNY gives a combination of restriction and malabsorption for an extra metabolic boost.  The RNY requires closer attention to your nutritional health, but for some, it's the only chance they have at good results.  The last thing you want to do is underthink it and need another surgery further down the road.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Abelote
on 8/21/14 8:47 pm

Thank you Valerie. I see you are 8 years post op DS. Matt also mentioned that. What it is?  

MsBatt
on 8/21/14 6:51 am

Given that your BMI is 55, you really should also consider a third option, the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those with a BMI greater than 50.

Abelote
on 8/21/14 8:43 pm

I've never heard of the DS. What is that?   

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/22/14 11:24 am

I asked that very question here 8 years ago, and I thank god I did every single day. What she ^^^ said. According to studies DS has the best weight loss, weight maintenance, and resolution of co morbs especially t2 diabetes, cholesterol and metabolic issues like PCOS. You can access study results about all the surgeries and lots of other information (great for all of us that need science to help us with these decisions) at DSfacts dot com. 

It's not a coincidence that all three of your responses are from long term DSers. We may still be in the minority as RNY surgeons are a dime a dozen whereas DS surgeons are not, but we DSers are among the most vocal and happy for good reason. We don't have the high incidence of dumping or reactive hypoglycemia that RNYers do, and we can take NSAIDs for pain, and don't have pouch issues dictating what we eat. We can eat a high fat diet, as we only absorb about 20% of the fat we eat. My main priority is to make sure I eat 80gr or more of protein per day, and I'm not suffering at all with my prime rib, broccoli and garlic shrimp tonight.