Waiting for insurance authorization..

NateH
on 8/20/14 6:47 am
VSG on 09/26/14

It's fair to give them time. But, for me... I'd call them today to ensure just that they got the submission. I'd ask or a reference number to have. I'd ask if it's been assigned for review yet. I'd ask if you could speak to that reviewer. If you get that person, just ask if there's anything else you need to provide to them. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Lmo2291
on 8/20/14 7:16 am

Hey Nate! How did you know UHC wasnt even reviewing your case? My case was opened July 21st I called last week and they said it was in the final stages of review to call back in a few days which I did and every day since and they keep just saying pending. Who did you call to finally get an answer? I've been calling the optum line not my case worker. Should I call her? Would that speed the process up? Thanks!

NateH
on 8/20/14 7:25 am, edited 8/20/14 7:25 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I didn't know until I called. I was just waiting and waiting. And then I thought that I could call and see. I'm glad I did. The first issue was that the papers were never sent. The next issue was we got the wrong fax number for UHC. Then they got 46 pages, not 97. Then the appeal was not properly submitted (you need their letter that they write to accompany your information). 

So, it's been a time I've had for sure! If you've been told they're reviewing, fair game. I just want to empower you to take control of your own case. I've been monkeying around at this for nearly 4 months. When all was said and done and UHC got the papers in the right way, it took 2 business days. 

I don't think you'll have the odd issues I had, but just don't be afraid to ask them what is happening with your case. If you haven't heard in awhile, you should call. There's nothing wrong with asking for an update. Ask them what day they will have a decision. With UHC there's always an "expected date" this date isn't a week of, it's a real date. You could ask for that date, at the minimum so you know. 

ETA: I called UHC directly. I always started with the number on my insurance card.

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Lmo2291
on 8/20/14 8:23 am

Thank you, that's good to know! I keep asking when to expect a decision and they keep saying soon so i'll just keep at it. I know my surgery gave a dummy date of August 28th so hopefully they'll let me know before then!

hopeful_loser
on 9/3/14 6:11 am

Did you ever get a decision? I called today to check on mine and it was APPROVED! I'm super stoked! My VSG surgery date is 9/25/14.. I'm also a bit nervous now that I know that it's really going to happen..

Lmo2291
on 9/3/14 6:13 am

Hey! Congrats on your approval and upcoming surgery date! 

I was approved also, I'm having surgery on 10/23. I definitely know how you feel, I was so anxious to get the approval and now it feels so real! I'm a little scared but I know this is what I have to do :)

RoxySquirrel13
on 8/20/14 10:43 am

Thanks - I did end up calling. No case found for me. I emailed the person at my doctor's office who handles this to verify it was sent and they haven't sent it yet. So I just lost a week basically.  

It hit me hard.  I have a date where I can't get surgery past it due to recovery (I am flying to South America on 1/7/15 and will be on a cruise boat for 3 weeks).  I wanted 3+months to heal before surgery and be able to eat relatively normal.  When I thought the paperwork was submitted last week I figured surgery no later than 9/15 but now its delayed at least a week.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/20/14 9:22 am

I submit insurance authorizations every day. The clock starts ticking the day your insurance receives all needed information, not the day information was first sent. Also, urgent requests are worked first. I say this not to discourage you, but to put the process in perspective.

Sometimes approval comes back within a day or two, and sometimes it takes longer. Try not to assume the worst-I know it's hard when you want to get everything started.

good luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

RoxySquirrel13
on 8/20/14 10:44 am

Thank you for sharing the other side of the process.  If I may ask, how long from the time you have the patient's paperwork to when you send to the insurance usually?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/20/14 12:19 pm

Once the doctor tells us what is needed, we round everything up and send it off. Usually we submit the same day, but sometimes we have to wait on test results, etc.

I work in hematology/oncology and infectious disease, not bariatrics, but the process is pretty much the same. 

Once the insurance gets the information, someone starts working on it. Sometimes I get calls for additional info. If I have to get it from another office it can slow things down. A lot of insurance companies take about ten days to process authorizations.

Hope this helps.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org