Why do we need so much protein?

Valerie G.
on 8/18/14 11:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

RNY and DS patients need that much (I try for 100-120) to compensate for malabsorption.

VSG patients have no malabsorption, so there's no need to eat any more than your body needs, which I believe is 50-60g per day for a woman.  When you're eating, make the protein the first focus on your plate, then the veggies, and save a bite or two for something scrumptious, so you can maintain control but not feel deprived.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/14 11:28 pm

I agree with Valerie .  I personally don't push the protein beyond what my body craves naturally AT ALL because I am very wary of kidney disease post op due to what I see is kidney overwork trying to digest huge protein levels .  To me , its just not worth the risk of stresing my kidneys to be what - ten lbs lighter ?  Id rather go running lol !

I eat lots of fresh vegetables ( mostly home and organically grown) ..beans, rice ( which together are a complete protein and give you great energy and suppress the appetite both) , fat free milk products and occasionally , when I crave it  meat or fish .  I have maintained a 80  lb weight loss for over four years .

Lorrainecma
on 8/19/14 4:28 pm

Out of everything you take in protein is probably the most important. I stopped protein once for a month because of kidneys, and lost a LOT of muscle mass. Your body needs the protein. Careful for iron too. This is something that a lot of us do not get enough of.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/20/14 12:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Why do we need so much protein? Because it's delicious.

Our bodies require a minimum amount of protein and fats to survive. We need a very small amount of carbs, but all of that we can manufacture from protein, so carbs are not actually necessary at all.

Everyone in the US gets more fat and carbs than they require without trying. Usually much, much more. But a lot of people get very little protein. The morbidly obese get enough simply because of the quantity of food we ate.

But cut down to 800 calories a day, most people would still be getting more than enough fat and carbs, but protein would be extremely low. Not everyone, but a large percentage. How many posts have we seen from people who can't get the recommended 60 or 70 grams of protein, even with shakes?

Most plans have minimum protein recommendations to make sure we get enough. These plans are written for the lowest common denominator. That's why individual meetings with a qualified registered dietician, and accurate food logging, can tailor a diet to what your body really needs.

There are a lot of protein myths out there. It isn't magic diet food. But it will keep you feeling full longer than carbs, which can help you eat less overall. And too much protein doesn't  cause kidney disease. But if you already have kidney disease, too much can be a problem.

I get a minimum of 200 grams a day. A couple of times a week I'll hit 300, and once in a while I've touched 400. Because it's delicious, and so good for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 9/1/14 9:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Can I ask how you get in 200 to 300g of protein? I am struggling to get 60-70. Thanks.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 9/1/14 10:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm pretty carnivorous, and eat quite a bit to maintain my weight now. I average about 2600 calories in maintenance. Each meal I get 40 to 50 grams, from steak, ham, etc. If I'm on the go for a long stretch I rely on protein bars rather than fast food. A snack at home is just some rolled up deli meat. It adds up pretty quick without eating  many carbs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.