Post Op Protein drinks taste horrible any ideas for other proteins?

Kate -True Brit
on 8/18/14 5:57 pm - UK

You don't say which surgery you have had and that maies a difference. 

With my doctor's blessing, I never had bought protein drinks. I made my own by adding high protein things like chick peas or lentils to soup and then blending. Slightly less protein than bought protein shakes but no chemicals and taste nice! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

White Dove
on 8/18/14 6:20 pm - Warren, OH

I did not like protein drinks but accepted them as part of the surgery process.  I was so anxious to lose weight and get healthy that I would have accepted having to drink glasses of mud if that is what it would have taken.  Some of those protein shakes were pretty close.  I drank them down and forced myself not to vomit.  At first it was an ounce or so for a meal.

In time I learned to doctor them up and to find brands that did not smell like badly spoiled milk.  After a while I started making them into protein ice cream.  I ended up learning how to make them enjoyable. 

Some people do well with never having a protein shake. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 8/18/14 11:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I gagged it down too until I could eat strategically enough to get it all in.  It took a few months to get there.  Ricotta cheese and SF egg custard were my success items to getting there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

VRoni
on 8/19/14 1:20 am - Susanville , CA
with

I have been on the clear liquid type proteins for the 1st week now they say I can start adding the powder protein shakes this week. They are much better I think. Anyway I am hanging in there and doing what I have to. I know its going to get easier with each week as I get to add new things. I really don't miss anything I just don't like the stuff I have to get down so working on trying different things till I find one I like.

JazzyOne9254
on 8/19/14 2:30 am

Do you like tomato juice or V-8?  Lemonade?   Syntrax Nectar has a Roadside Lemonade flavor that's good,  or, here's how I use protein powder to make my own custom flavors:

1) Get unflavored Whey Protein Isolate - it costs a little more, but this is what I use.  Plain Whey comes unflavored too, I think.  I use WPI due to lactose intolerance.

2) Get extract flavors you really like. (These go a *long* way...it doesn't take much to flavor)

3) Add a touch of heavy cream to your milkshake.  Sweeten with artificial sweetener of choice.

You can shake this up in a blender bottle or put it in a blender to mix.  Be careful with hot liquids.  Protein will curdle if temp is too high.  Can't be piping hot.  Just drinking temperature.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

VRoni
on 8/19/14 3:27 am - Susanville , CA
with

I do like v8 tomato juice soups etc. but told not to for another 2 weeks. To stay on the clear liquid protein until then.  I feel like Im ready to add the jucies etc. but dont think Dr will.

Although I did have a little soup yesterday just to try. I fixed it then strained out the veg beef chunks etc.  and added broth to thin it out and it was nice for a change. 

Bufflehead
on 8/20/14 4:53 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

HealthSmart makes some protein soups, both clear and full liquid types. They are optimized to mix with ho****er (or milk, whatever) - as long as they are not boiling the protein will not clump. I used them a lot after surgery - to me they tasted pretty decent.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/

TexasLady52
on 8/20/14 5:20 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I get to thinking that I post this to often.  I have always loved protein drinks but after surgery your taste changes and I got to where I could not choke them down.  I tried numerous different ones and could not stand them.  Then I was told about: Genepro http://www.musclegen.net/ .... this is oderless and tasteless and does not clump.  You can add it to hot or cold....or just sprinkle over your food.  This stuff is great.  One tablespoon equals a scoop of Whey and equal 30 grams of protein.  It is approved by John Hopkins and has 96% absorbtion.  You can also order it from Amazon.  I go by every morning to a Herbalife shake shop....get a Chunky Monkey (35 grams of protein).....add a scoop of Genepro (30 grams of protein)....mid morning I fix a Crystal Light and add another scoop.....I already have 95 grams for the day!!!

SCeidra
on 8/20/14 5:53 am

Whey protein in milk is not bad and it has a lot of protein in it. Hope this helps 

nonsenseprecious
on 8/20/14 5:57 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I'm having a similar issue (6 days post-op). I could not handle the two types of ready-to-drink ones we had on hand (Premier Chocolate and Pure Vanilla), so last night I made one with powder + almond milk + PB2. I only managed 2 oz of it, but that's a huge improvement over zero ounces, and I'm going to try more today. The PB2 made it just a little salty (like peanut butter is salty), which helped a ton. I'm really sick of sweet things, too.