Have you been exceptionally successful in meeting weightloss goal?

Angiegettinskinny
on 8/17/14 8:22 am - pearl river, LA

If you have been successful in reaching your weightloss goal , what do you think has helped you do this? What would be your word of advice to anyone getting the sleeve and being successful with it?

MsBatt
on 8/17/14 10:09 am

Have you researched the Duodenal Switch? Given your BMI, you would be much more likely to get to---and to stay at!---a healthy weight will the full DS rather than just the Sleeve. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It actually changes the way the body metabolizes food.

Angiegettinskinny
on 8/18/14 12:43 pm - pearl river, LA

MsBatt I have not researched the DS, I have a friend that had that done. She is doing great but, I didn't know about that and I wasn't too keen on having weightloss surgery and rerouting my intestines. I have been successful so far with VSG. HW 402 SW 369 CW 274. I am losing inches even though my weight has stayed the same the last 2 months. It seems that my stomach is going down and legs getting smaller. I don't understand it. Maybe my body is shifting...I don't know lol Anyway. I just wanted to know what has made others successful , i believe knowledge is power. :) Thanks for info but I don't want anymore surgery and Dr said insurance won't pay for another, when I had mine they said make sure the one I got was the one I wanted. :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/17/14 12:06 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't know if I've been exceptionally successful -- but I have lost 135 in 7 months time. I attribute my success thus far to following my surgeon's plan 100% for 100% of the time, changing my mental thinking about food, and having a wonderful tool that helps me along.  I had an RNY on New Year's Eve.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Angiegettinskinny
on 8/18/14 12:44 pm - pearl river, LA

Way to go..that is great!! :)

Karen M.
on 8/18/14 9:41 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I admire your attitude, Kathryn. The "want" to be 100% will take you far.

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Karen M.
on 8/17/14 10:50 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I guess I consider myself "exceptional" - take that how you will. LOL

I am 8 1/2 years post-op RNY. My start weight was 290 pounds. I now weigh 120 pounds and am happily and easily maintaining for several years.

PLANNING is key. I plan my daily menu each and every day. Going into each day with a plan for my eating keeps me on track and organized in my thoughts, allowing me to eat mindfully.

ACCOUNTABILITY to yourself. I track my meals and snacks in writing each day on a What are You Eating Today thread. I still occasionally input my menus into MyFitnessPal to ensure I am on track with protein grams and carb limits. I don't avoid inputting slips, tastes, etc - if it goes in my mouth, I have eaten it and it counts.

I completely gave up refined sugar, by choice, for the first 7.5 years post-op. I did not miss it, crave it, or want it. Everything tasted too sweet post-op anyway. It is only in the last year or so, due to a health issue, that I don't completely avoid sugar - I gave up artificial sweeteners for the most part. I don't add sugar, I just don't stress if I eat something that has a little sugar in it.

Posting on OH to support others and leading an informal support group in my area also keeps me focused on my own goals. Reaching out to others reminds me of where I was, where I am, and where I plan to stay with respect to my weight and my health.

I am sure there are many other things I do that have simply become second nature. Many will say that you have to make exercise a passion. Yeah, not so much. I am not a gym enthusiast, I don't cycle for fear of killing myself, I don't run unless something scary is chasing me. I am active, I walk, etc. It has not been necessary for me to become a fitness guru - for that I am thankful, and lucky.

Karen

Karen

Angiegettinskinny
on 8/18/14 12:48 pm - pearl river, LA

Thanks Karen, Great advice...I find when I track, I do so much better. It keeps me accountable. I have to constantly remind myself that I can't lie to me..lol I do think i need to move more. And I stay away from sugar. I was a type 2 diabetic but am off all meds and blood sugar is normal. I am so happy about that , everyone said that I seem happier. I do feel so much better. I feel more in control and not hopeless like before. Thanks again for your response and hoping you have continued success on your journey. :)

Karen M.
on 8/18/14 9:35 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I had to laugh a little at "remind myself that I can't lie to me" - exactly! So easy to do. You made a good point with feeling more in control - I often feel that when life's events are out of my control, being able to control what I'm eating helps to organize my thoughts. Sort of like a little calm amongst the crazy. lol

K.

Karen

Kate -True Brit
on 8/18/14 6:05 pm - UK

This is such an indvudual thing. For me it was very different to the other posters. If I count, measure, record - then I obsess; I think about food all the time. If I think about food, I want it!

So I started by making very sure I had a good idea of quantities. Then I just ate small amounts of food; always protein first, then crunchy veg, then carbs if room left.  I oniy counted (just calories) on days when I knew I was breaking away from"good" eating or maybe once every two or three weeks just to make sure I wasn't drifting off track. 

But I do know my way doesn't work for everyone! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,